Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New Gpu performance benefit?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I get reasonable performance in Dolphin for the most part & my rig is getting on a bit now: i7 920 DO @ 3.8GHz, GTX 670 Windforce, 6GB DDR3, 1920x1200.
Currently using the Ishiiruka.f40ab1a.x64 build at my desktop res with D3D11, 3x Native, 4x AA & 16x AF for most things.

I'm planning on a GPU upgrade soon, most probably one of the 970's (recommendations would be appreciated) & was wondering if I would likely see much of a performance improvement? bearing in mind that my CPU/RAM will be staying as they are for a while yet.
In my limited understanding of how Dolphin works the CPU is more important to performance right..?
Your GPU is more than fine to run dolphin at high IRs. If you're getting game slowdowns, it's because if your CPU. I recommend getting a new motherboard and an i5-4690k instead of a new GPU, as it will be about the same price, and you can reuse all your old components if the case accepts atx boards and you have ddr3 ram. You'll also get better performance
(12-06-2014, 03:59 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Your GPU is more than fine to run dolphin at high IRs. If you're getting game slowdowns, it's because if your CPU. I recommend getting a new motherboard and an i5-4690k instead of a new GPU, as it will be about the same price, and you can reuse all your old components if the case accepts atx boards and you have ddr3 ram. You'll also get better performance

I highly doubt I'm confident/able enough to remove/replace everything without permanently screwing something up.. I've replaced a GPU before, but even that brings me out in a cold sweat.
The thought of installing a new mobo/cpu & reattaching my cooler absolutely terrifies me, & besides I don't know what the case is (inherited the system) it's a CoolerMaster, quite large & about 6-7ys old.
As I'm a glutton for punishment could you suggest some mobo's for the i5-4690k & why that particular CPU is it a good overclocker?
You can only (safely) overclock cpu's with a K in it. The i5 4690k is an excellent choice because it is haswell (4th gen, 30% faster than ivy bridge in dolphin (3rd gen)), and is part of the haswell refresh devil's canyon (better for overclocking than the slightly older i5 4670k). You want to go with an i5 over the i7 because the i7 only provides you with a marginally higher clock speed and hyperthreading for ~100 dollars more.

You're going to want a Z97 mobo for the processor to overclock it. I have the gigabyte Z97m-d3h and I'm happy with it. Any z97 will do though.
Can I ask folks how I can possibly find out what case I have as there isn't a model number (trust me I've looked) so I can find out if it accepts atx? boards as KHg8m3r says.
& if I am able to proceed with the upgrade, I'll almost certainly end up chickening (is that a word?) out & paying over the odds for someone else to do it.
If it's a large Cooler Master case, then I would say that it accepts ATX motherboards. As long as it isn't a prebuilt system from a company like Dell/Lenovo/HP, you should be fine.
Open the case and look on the motherboard for the model number. Then do a Google search of that model number to see what style board it is.

Or if you can't find that, when looking at the case from the front panel:
-If the left side of the case opens up and the board is mounted on the right side, it supports some form of ATX.
-If the case opens on the right and the mobo is mounted on the left it uses some form of BTX and you're screwed.
(12-06-2014, 07:03 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]If it's a large Cooler Master case, then I would say that it accepts ATX motherboards. As long as it isn't a prebuilt system from a company like Dell/Lenovo/HP, you should be fine.
Open the case and look on the motherboard for the model number. Then do a Google search of that model number to see what style board it is.

Or if you can't find that, when looking at the case from the front panel:
-If the left side of the case opens up and the board is mounted on the right side, it supports some form of ATX.
-If the case opens on the right and the mobo is mounted on the left it uses some form of BTX and you're screwed.

It's mounted on the right side.. so I'm OK & can choose any ATX board? if so can people recommend a few worth looking at & can I still use my GTX 670, Ram (Corsair TR3X6G1600C9) XFX Pro 750 Psu & Noctua NH-D14 Air Cooler with whatever I choose?
Can you find what motherboard model you have?

Other than that, the other hardware looks good. The ram is ddr3, so as long as it isn't failing you'll be fine. That's a big cooler, so I'm assuming you have a full ATX board. Also, how old is that power supply? That's the only thing I would be wary of.

Go to pcpartpicker.com, go to motherboards, and then look for z97 boards with good reviews. And then whatever you like the most.
(12-06-2014, 09:32 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Can you find what motherboard model you have?

Other than that, the other hardware looks good. The ram is ddr3, so as long as it isn't failing you'll be fine. That's a big cooler, so I'm assuming you have a full ATX board. Also, how old is that power supply? That's the only thing I would be wary of.

Go to pcpartpicker.com, go to motherboards, and then look for z97 boards with good reviews. And then whatever you like the most.

I'd say the PSU is approx 18 months old & the mobo is a Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
Ok, if it's only that old, then the PSU is fine.
And yes, it is now confirmed, that motherboard is an ATX board, and a really good one at that

Here's a good cheap board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate
Here's a high quality gaming board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5
Here's one similar to what you have: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-mo...-gaz97xsli
Here's another good quality board: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97a