Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin not utilizing graphics card
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

furdturgeson

Hi, I'm using Dolphin on linux and it doesn't seem to be using my graphics card (an R9 280x), instead I think it's using my way less powerful APU.

As a result, the performance seems very lackluster, particularly in Resident Evil for GC, I'm seeing a constant lag. I'm maybe getting 15 fps max, maybe being the keyword.

Another issue is that dolphin seems to cap my fps at 30. This is not a huge issue, because I'm sure the consoles run at 30 fps, but I've been spoiled by pc games.

Also, I know using an APU with a dedicated graphics card is pretty dumb, but I didn't think I was going to get a graphics card later on.
Dolphin relies a lot on the processor. What's your exact processor model + clock?
Even if Dolphin used your iGPU , A10-7850K should be more than enough to handle games at 1080p (no AA of course)

furdturgeson

(11-29-2014, 09:42 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin relies a lot on the processor. What's your exact processor model + clock?

My exact model is AMD A10-7700K Kaveri

Usually when a game, any game, or pcsx is played I can hear my graphics card fan kick on, and I can feel the heat difference blowing from the fans, the card reaches about 65-70 degrees celsius max.

With dolphin, even through the lag, video card fans never kick on and the CPU doesn't get hot enough to notice heat blowing out.

Which it should at the rate it lags, especially since I'm using a stock AMD heatsink and they're awful.

(11-29-2014, 10:29 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Even if Dolphin used your iGPU , A10-7850K should be more than enough to handle games at 1080p (no AA of course)

I'm running it at 2x native resolution scaled to fullscreen, no widescreen hack, no AA, 1x anisotropic filtering, just pretty much bare minimum
Maybe try turning things up a bit - if the GPU detects Dolphin's not asking it for much work, then it'll not bother leaving idle clocks, and so it'll run slowly and the fan won't need to kick in.