Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i7-4702MQ && Nvidia gt740m -> 30fps
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hubertus

Hello,

i really think that my setup should run dolphin smoothly. but its lagging hard when playing in 1080.

i really just only care about mario cart double dash.

i am running ubuntu 14.04 and dolphin v4.0 - 4163 (Nov 15 2014) .

please send help! my friend could paly it smoothly with no lags whatsoever with a laptaop way older than mine. therefore i assume the problem is in the settings...

i am soo confused by all the options you can put in....

edit: just updated to the newest stable version and build it /intalled it.

now i am using version 4.0-4163. still super laggy
playing in 1080 might be too much work for your graphics card try lowering your graphic settings to default in dolphin, if its still slow try the dolphin build i am using (currently dolphin-master-4.0-3239-x64) that seems to be one of the faster newer builds IMO however i use windows i am not sure about ubuntu
Welcome to poor nVidia Optimus support in Linux =/

Your GPU can handle 1080p in games like Mario Kart Double Dash, but Optimus support in Linux is pretty poor. Another possibility is that you're not using your dedicated GPU at all. Try installing bumblebee with the proprietary nVidia drivers and then run Dolphin through command line with primusrun, it'll give you a little better performance but it'll still be slower than using Dolphin on Windows...
I´ve read somewhere in the game´s thread (I think it was JMC47) that sometimes MKDD would be tough on the GPU side for some (unknown?) reasons.
(11-28-2014, 08:37 AM)Jhonn Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to poor nVidia Optimus support in Linux =/

Your GPU can handle 1080p in games like Mario Kart Double Dash, but Optimus support in Linux is pretty poor. Another possibility is that you're not using your dedicated GPU at all. Try installing bumblebee with the proprietary nVidia drivers and then run Dolphin through command line with primusrun, it'll give you a little better performance but it'll still be slower than using Dolphin on Windows...

Really?
So Optimus support on Linux is actually not good even with Bumblebee? I'm also Linux user and I didn't expect that...
Would it still be slower than Windows even with, for example, a GTX 860M?

Also, I wonder if the OP has already tried this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/412452/ge...ime-gt650m
It's clearly not Bumblebee (in fact it advises to uninstall it), and I read somewhere this nvidia-prime package thing could actually give better performance than Bumblebee/primusrun...

Too bad it's Ubuntu exclusive, it feels like they're elitists...
Forget it. I use Ubuntu in dual boot since 12.10 release in my laptop with Optimus and I can assure nothing currently available is faster than bumblebee with primusrun and proprietary nVidia drivers. People at Ask Ubuntu keep saying nvidia-prime is better but from my personal experience it isn't: the dedicated GPU will always be on (everything will be rendered by it), increasing power consumption (thus decreasing battery life) and it's slower than bumblebee + primusrun for me (10-15 FPS difference in Dolphin)...

ZLRK Wrote:Really?
So Optimus support on Linux is actually not good even with Bumblebee? I'm also Linux user and I didn't expect that...
Would it still be slower than Windows even with, for example, a GTX 860M?
As far as I know it's related in how bumblebee/nvidia-prime works: from what I understood, the app runs through nVidia GPU, render the scene somewhere and this final result is "streamed" back to the integrated GPU, and for some reason this process is faster when using bumblebee + primus than when using nvidia-prime. This "stream back" process adds a little overhead and that's why it's slower than in Windows (around 5-10 FPS slower in my testings with Dolphin). Apparently in Windows we don't have that overhead because the nVidia GPU render the scene and write it directly in framebuffer or something like that of the IGP (or something like that), thus, being a little faster.

If that's right, it should be reproducible even in high end GPUs like GTX 860M...
Though a bit offtopic, but just to finish it, I seriously wonder if all of this would be the same case for PC games, either native Linux and through Wine, or perhaps other emulators...

Do you have any idea?
Well, I think you can expect the same 5-10 FPS loss we get in Dolphin in other OGL apps too...
Just to note: As of 4.0-1288, Dolphin began emulating Mario Kart: Double Dash's weird Depth of Field effect correctly. This effect seems to smash GPUs.