Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Vsync implementation with Windows DWM
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do the Direct3D and OpenGL renderers perform Vsync while the Windows Vista, 7, 8 & 10 DWM is active? Does it simply poll for VBlank? Because it shouldn't. That method with the DWM active creates the potential for various edge cases where a video frame can be displayed for way longer than it should be and induce intermittent visual stutter in the output. I just so happen to have a computer that is very susceptible to these edge cases. If it does poll for VBlank, and you want information on an alternative way to handle vsync under these operating systems than I'll be happy to provide some additional details that both explains the various edge cases that can occur and offer a simple alternative method to handling vsync.

Exclusive Fullscreen Display Mode programs don't exhibit any problems even when they poll for VBlank because the DWM doesn't interfere with them in any way, I've noticed that work is being done on implementing Direct3D Fullscreen Exclusive Display Mode support but this won't apply to the OpenGL renderer sadly.
Both OGL and D3D are supposed to have exclusive fullscreen support now. Make sure the "Borderless Fullscreen" option under the Advanced tab of the graphics settings is not checked to enable exclusive mode.
Ah, okay then. That is very good.
Render to main Window must be unchecked too, otherwise exclusive full screen won't work...
Yes, I did see that in the other thread. Thanks for the information none the less.