Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best tablet for dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In your opinion what is the best tablet for dolphin? I would probably lean towards the surface pro 3 but there are non Surface tablets running i5+ not to mention the razer tablet with the i7 + Nvidia GPU.

If we skirt down to the ~$300 range there are a few android tablets that might run some simpler games. Anyway, what do you think?
Razer Edge Pro is weaker despite having i7 processor
Both i7 3517u (Ivy Bridge) and i5 4300u (Haswell) are ultra-low voltage dual core CPUs which mean low performance compared to normal mobile CPUs
Ivy Bridge is older and it performs 30% slower than Haswell in Dolphin
However , the razer edge has discrete GPU , you can crank internal resolution up without getting too much slowdown...
I would suggest getting a gaming laptop instead . These tablets are not good enough for most games
(11-27-2014, 08:44 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Razer Edge Pro is weaker despite having i7 processor
Both i7 3517u (Ivy Bridge) and i5 4300u (Haswell) are ultra-low voltage dual core CPUs which mean low performance compared to normal mobile CPUs
However , the razer edge has discrete GPU , you can crank internal resolution up without getting too much slowdown...
I would suggest getting a gaming laptop instead . These tablets are not good enough for most games
I'm aware of what a ulv processor is and dual core isn't an issue because dolphin only uses 2 cores (3 if you move audio to a separate core but from I've read its not reccomended)

I have a laptop and a powerful desktop I'm interested in running dolphin on a tablet though.
We had a few users running Dolphin on the Surface Pro 2. For some games, it ran pretty well, so depending on what you want to play, a Surface Pro 3 would be pretty good. We also had someone share their experience with the Razer Edge Pro -> https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-vi...ble-wii-jk

When talking about ULV CPUs, it's important to remember that they do have a minimum speed they'll run at. 1.9GHz on the i5-4300U is actually pretty good when taking into account Haswell's speed in Dolphin and the many changes that have made Dolphin crazy-fast in the past few months. CPU-wise, since both the i7-3517U and i5-4300U have similar base clocks and Turbo Boosts, the advantage will go to the i5-4300, since Haswell runs Dolphin 25~30% better than Ivy Bridge.

The Intel HD 4400 should easily be capable of 2x or 3x IR in most games, so even though the Razer has a better GPU, it may be a moot point if you don't intend to play at higher IRs.
(11-28-2014, 12:49 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-27-2014, 08:44 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Razer Edge Pro is weaker despite having i7 processor
I'm aware of what a ulv processor is and dual core isn't an issue because dolphin only uses 2 cores (3 if you move audio to a separate core but from I've read its not reccomended)

I have a laptop and a powerful desktop I'm interested in running dolphin on a tablet though.

Razer Edge Pro emulation of Wii and Gamecube:

Wii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8iNxsr_Rw

Gamecube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CY3SbNZ9cY
lol, people and their tablets. Besides trying to get proper gaming on a tablet, I have heard people wanting to game on their phone like their PC.
If people want a tablet (or phone) to game on, that's their business though. It may seem silly to others, but if the OP sees value in it, why shouldn't we give advice on the best tablets for Dolphin? On that note also, you're not helping, so keep off-topic talk to a minimum.
(11-29-2014, 01:26 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If people want a tablet (or phone) to game on, that's their business though. It may seem silly to others, but if the OP sees value in it, why shouldn't we give advice on the best tablets for Dolphin? On that note also, you're not helping, so keep off-topic talk to a minimum.

Many tablets will run N64, PSX, PSP, DS, and Dreamcast emulators perfectly well, so you can have a pretty deep library of amazing games at your disposal even if you fall short of running Dolphin very well (or playing current gen AAA titles).
I have an old mk908 lying around (android dongle that plugs into hdmi) and was able to run new super mario bros at around ~20 fps and that's a quad-core device. OP should try one of those too, maybe they work faster in some cases.

(11-29-2014, 01:26 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]If people want a tablet (or phone) to game on, that's their business though. It may seem silly to others, but if the OP sees value in it, why shouldn't we give advice on the best tablets for Dolphin? On that note also, you're not helping, so keep off-topic talk to a minimum.

That's funny that you tell me to not post off-topic but when other people hijack my thread and start posting useless things that don't even relate to the thing I post in the beginning, you do nothing.
(11-30-2014, 02:51 AM)hamid1455 Wrote: [ -> ]That's funny that you tell me to not post off-topic but when other people hijack my thread and start posting useless things that don't even relate to the thing I post in the beginning, you do nothing.

That's funny that you didn't report the off-topic talk (via PM or the handy Report button). If you don't bring up rule infractions before the moderating team, how is anyone supposed to know? It's not as if I personally browse every single thread on these forums each day.
Pages: 1 2