Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disapointing performances
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello everyone,

I've tried to use Dolphin in the past to play some games like SSBB, Twilight Princess or Unlimited Cruise. Sadly, they weren't running well, maybe at 30 fps but with a lot of framerate drops so it was unplayable. Actually I'm trying to give Dolphin another chance with Fire Emblem : PoR, but i have the same issues : even on the lowest settings, I have framerate drops constantly. I know using a laptop is not optimal but i thought that mine would be capable of running games on low settings :/ ...
I'm running a 3630QM and a GTX 670MX with which I can play very demanding games like The Witcher 2 on medium. I would be glad if you could help me, thanks Smile.
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide

Twilight Princess is extremely demanding and will have problems running full speed on a laptop.
I can understand for Twilight Princess but for a Gamecube game like Fire Emblem, my laptop seems to be capable of running it no ?

Also, I've a problem with Throtllestop : even I set the multiplier to 32, my processor keep going on 15MhZ or other numbers but doesn't stay on 32Mhz ... I don't understand why because it's not due to temperatures, it does this even at 45° degrees. Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor shows me that my processor is on "energy economy" but my windows mode is Maximal Performance !

For sure there's a problem and I noticed that when my processor was going on 32MhZ the games run well !
Your CPU sits at number 43 in our POV-RAY benchmark. What this test was is the most demanding parts of the GC/Wii games in a benchmark style.

Fire Emblem games are kinda demanding
(11-25-2014, 07:25 AM)Bunansa Wrote: [ -> ]I can understand for Twilight Princess but for a Gamecube game like Fire Emblem, my laptop seems to be capable of running it no ?

Also, I've a problem with Throtllestop : even I set the multiplier to 32, my processor keep going on 15MhZ or other numbers but doesn't stay on 32Mhz ... I don't understand why because it's not due to temperatures, it does this even at 45° degrees. Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor shows me that my processor is on "energy economy" but my windows mode is Maximal Performance !

For sure there's a problem and I noticed that when my processor was going on 32MhZ the games run well !

Look here: https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...ance-guide
@zephyrsurfer - JMC47 already linked to that :p

@bunansa - Strange as it may seem, try plugging in your laptop. Some laptops go into "Performance Mode" when plugged in. I've seen it happen to a few people here.
(11-25-2014, 12:37 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]@zephyrsurfer - JMC47 already linked to that :p

Haha, how did I not see that? What is my life Tongue

Maybe OP should try the guide on a new user account without any 3rd party software running like he mentioned throttlestop.
See if a clean config will work??
I have the same processor and a weaker GPU and something is making your laptop run at a low speed. I can say that because Zelda Twilight Princess run pretty well in my laptop (especially with the latest development builds). The only slowdown I got was in Hyrule Field after beating the game (was something around 20-25 FPS, with ZTP patch enabled) and some random stutterings in Faron Woods and Lake Hylia. I can't say about Fire Emblem games because I don't own them, but something is wrong, you should get a little better performance with that CPU. Run something to monitor your CPU and check if it's hitting the 3.2GHz speed while running Dolphin...
Thank you everyone for your answers !

KHg8m3r : in this benchmark, my processor seems not bad at all and capable of running some game, but my problem is that even the less demanding games run bad :/
zephyrsurfer : I've already apply this guide :p . I'll try to test on another account and tell you !

Shonumi : My laptop is always plugged in because as you say and you're correct, it doesn't run in "Performance Mode" when not plugged in.

Jhonn : I'm happy to ear this ! For me Twilight Princess is unplayable as long as there are ennemies ... I've used Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor and my processor doesn't stay at 3.2 ghz, but it goes "up and down" : sometimes at 1.6GhZ, Most of the time at 2.2 GhZ, and some miliseconds at 3.2. When it is at 3.2, my games are running well. And I'm sure it's not due to the temperature because even if it is on my legs, it doesn't feel hot. On games like The Witcher 2, my laptop was burning but I did not have any slowdown !

In Intel Turbo Boost Technology Monitor, there is an icon saying that I'm on saving plan, I don't understand why ...
Ok so I tried on another account but I have the same issues : my processors doesn't stay at 3.20 GhZ but go up and down
Pages: 1 2