Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin on GNU/Linux, various feedbacks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

iMil

Hi Dolphin people,

First of all, thanks for your amazing work. Impressive and appreciated.

I've been tweaking a little with various versions, and I'd like to share a couple of informations related to Linux, more specifically, Linux Mint Debian Edition. Most of my remarks should apply to Debian GNU/Linux and possibly any modern Linux distribution.

First, if anyone is witnessing instant "Aborted" or segfault messages when starting a game or clicking on GCPad & Wiimote, you should the remove 'libudev0 package', and if you absolutely need libudev.so.0, simply ln -s libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0, it's not the cleanest trick around, but it does the job and enables Dolphin to run.

As I said, I tried (built) various versions of Dolphin, and unfortunately, after 4.0-4122, many GC and wadware games won't start anymore. Dophin would simply segfault on Word of Goo, Fluidity, Rebel Assault and many more. Mario Kart Wii works with the latest versions but it's more or less the only game I can get running, but still segfaults on existing the game. So I got back to 4122.

The wiimote works great, but only with a patch I found here https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/is...il?id=5997. Many sources reports that it works, and I can only back it up, while the patch is very basic, it works for me also. I've been able to use 2 wiimotes and play Mario Kart without notable issues.

I know the hardware I use is not "top notch" (i3@3.3GHz + Nvidia 8600GT), nevertheless, graphical speed is kinda acceptable, but the sound, omg, horrible. Glitches and bumps as soon as there's any activity, no matter what backend or option I use, the sound is really bad. So let me ask this: would it be solved by a more powerful CPU?

It is to be noted I don't use pre-built ubuntu packages as there's a conflict regarding libpulse0 (depends on libpulse0 (>= 1:0.99.1); however: Version of libpulse0:amd64 on system is 4.0-6+b1), instead I build Dolphin from source (mkdir build; cd build; cmake ..; make -j4; make install).
FWIW, with this hardware and dolphin 4.0-4122 the games run from 30 to 60 FPS, which is acceptable.

HTH and maybe you'll have a couple of answers for me Smile
I think we've answered lots of this questions on IRC, but here also a small summary.

(11-24-2014, 07:10 AM)iMil Wrote: [ -> ]I know the hardware I use is not "top notch" (i3@3.3GHz + Nvidia 8600GT), nevertheless, graphical speed is kinda acceptable, but the sound, omg, horrible. Glitches and bumps as soon as there's any activity, no matter what backend or option I use, the sound is really bad. So let me ask this: would it be solved by a more powerful CPU?
Generally, only the CPU performance matters. But as your GPU doesn't support GL4, you'll end in a slow driver path all the time.
For audio, it will always stutter if the game doesn't run at fullspeed.