Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Isn't there meant to be audio stretching?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Afaik one of the articles mentioned audio stretching (Might be confusing with a post on PCSX2 website) which will make the audio slow down to match the frame rate instead of stutter/skip however I've tried both audio back ends and even increased the buffer for OpenAL and they both stutter quite a bit when frame rate suffers.

Is this an upcoming feature or was it recently removed? Latest Dolphin developer build from dolphin-emu.org.
It's in there, but it only works when your PC isn't bottlenecked. For example, I can run a game like MK Wii and arbitrarily set the Framelimit to 30 (I can run it 60 just fine). The audio slows down to match the speed. If I create a GPU bottleneck, however (4x IR + 4xSSAA!!) it drops down to like 37 FPS and the audio crackles. So basically, it won't work whenever there is a CPU or GPU bottleneck limiting performance. It sounds alright if you're behind a few FPS (~ 5 FPS) but usually anything greater sounds progressively worse.

OpenAL can timestretch the audio even during bottlenecks, but obviously there's a limit to how effective it can be. The greater the bottleneck and slowdown, the less likely it is to remedy audio stuttering. Get past a certain point, and the audio will stutter regardless.
Okay, no worries. Thanks for the information.