Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Load custom textures does not work for Metroid Prime?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

HelloMeow

Recently I learned about dumping textures and making custom textures. So the first thing I did was to try and improve the look of one of my favorite games, Metroid Prime.

After some testing I figured out that I can only modify the splash screen textures. You know, the Nintendo logo and the Dolby logo and such. It does dump the in game textures (including mip maps), but it won't load any of them. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, because it works for other games and the splash screen textures. Is this a known issue?
4.0.2 is known to shit itself when presented with custom textures. Use the latest dev build for more accuracy, more speed, and the ability to use custom textures without Dolphin shitting itself.

HelloMeow

(11-22-2014, 09:44 PM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]4.0.2 is known to shit itself when presented with custom textures. Use the latest dev build for more accuracy, more speed, and the ability to use custom textures without Dolphin shitting itself.

I just tried 4.0-4250 and it's exactly the same. It works with other games and I can only change the splash screen textures.

Maybe it's the game. Maybe it handles textures differently. Is that possible? Has anyone tried using custom textures for Metroid Prime?
Are you opening up the graphics menu while the game is running? That could cause the problem; as I believe Metroid Prime is a safe texture cache game.

HelloMeow

(11-24-2014, 09:06 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Are you opening up the graphics menu while the game is running? That could cause the problem; as I believe Metroid Prime is a safe texture cache game.

(11-25-2014, 03:42 AM)Dan_Tsukasa Wrote: [ -> ]Are you saving the files back out as the same format all the time, same name + same format?
Nope.
Thats sounds like a silly question, but just trying to cover all the bases so people can work out the issue.
Yes.

After some more testing, I have found that some textures do load, but others don't. For example, I can't change the weapon textures and some tree textures, but I can change some rock textures. It seems totally random.
This issue sounds like you've changed the texture cache setting, so it's hashing more of the texture. That means the hashes don't match any longer, and those textures won't load. Textures small enough where fast texture cache finishes hashing them will work fine. You need to not open the graphics menu at all while dumping the textures to get the correct hash that the emulator is going to want.

HelloMeow

(11-25-2014, 11:03 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]This issue sounds like you've changed the texture cache setting, so it's hashing more of the texture. That means the hashes don't match any longer, and those textures won't load. Textures small enough where fast texture cache finishes hashing them will work fine. You need to not open the graphics menu at all while dumping the textures to get the correct hash that the emulator is going to want.

I'll try that. Does this mean I have to set it to dump before running the game? I've been avoiding that, because then it'll dump every single frame of the video that plays in the background of the main menu.
you have to have it dumping before you start the game, yes.