Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: PC with various features
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everybody!
I'm putting together a new computer but I have some doubts and I would like to ask you some advice.
I have different needs, I need a PC server with plex and xbmc (I would insert multiple hard drives in raid), have the ability to install on a disk partition or Yosemite Mavericks OSX (hackintosh) and last but not least have a chance to use the emulator Dolphin.
I understand that it is difficult to reconcile these features with each other and thought to a more balanced as possible. What do you think?

1) CPU: Intel - Processor Core i5-4690K (Haswell Refresh)
            Intel - Core i7-4790K Processor (Haswell Refresh)
The i5 is enough for both server and plex-xbmc a little less for the Dolphin (some games require a powerful CPU). The i7 is better? And 'possible to use Dolphin with integrated graphics (Intel 4600)?
I chose K processors to get a chance in the future to do overclocking, it is a good choice for Dolphin?

2) Motherboard: GIGABYTE - Motherboard GA-Z97-D3H
GIGABYTE - Motherboard GA-Z97X-UD3H
The two boards are the same except for the PCI Express 16X, 16X in the operating UD3H. This feature is worth the difference of about € 15 (if in the future I wanted to add a dedicated vga ...)? It 'a good motherboard for Dolphin?

3) RAM: CRUCIAL - Memory SoDimm Ballistix Sport 8GB DDR3 1866 MHz CL10
CRUCIAL - Dimm Memory 8GB DDR3 1600MHz CL9
In the case of ram I would be more focused on the 1866 MHz (overclocking future) could be a problem for Dolphin?

4) Hard Disk: SAMSUNG - 120GB Solid State Drive 840 Series Evo 2.5 "Interface SATA III 6Gb / s Stand Alone.
Sull 'ssd would install the two operating systems (Windows 7 and OSX) and on two discs WESTERN DIGITAL - Green WD 4 TB 3.5 "SATA III 6Gb the rest of the data.

5) Power supply: 400W Codegen.
This power supply (as well as the middle tower ATX case) is already in my possession. It can fit at least initially (without overclocking and without dedicated video card) or is undersized?
ReNero Wrote:The i5 is enough for both server and plex-xbmc a little less for the Dolphin (some games require a powerful CPU). The i7 is better? And 'possible to use Dolphin with integrated graphics (Intel 4600)?

i7's provide no significant advantage over their i5 counterparts, assuming they're running at the same speed. The difference between the i5-4690K and the i7-4690K that would be most notable is that the i5 runs at a base of 3.5GHz and the i7 runs at a base of 4.0 GHz. Obviously, without overclocking, the i7 will run better, but when taking overclocking into account, they'll both reach the same levels of performance in Dolphin. Keep in mind, Dolphin is generally a dual-core application for most of its processing (can use three cores under limited conditions), so throwing more cores/threads won't make it run faster. You just need a few really fast cores. The i5-4690K will run most games fine without overclocking, and when overclocked it will run just about anything Dolphin can throw at it. In light of that, I would say the i7 is overkill, unless you have other needs outside of Dolphin that dictate it (doesn't sound like it from your post).

ReNero Wrote:And 'possible to use Dolphin with integrated graphics (Intel 4600)?

Yes, Dolphin will run pretty well, even with Intel IGPs. You should be able to hit 2x to 3x the GC/Wii's Native Resolution in many games without issue.

ReNero Wrote:I chose K processors to get a chance in the future to do overclocking, it is a good choice for Dolphin?

Yes, but not as much as it used it. Dolphin itself has gotten a lot faster, and Haswell CPUs run Dolphin much faster than previous generations of Intel hardware (like Sandy Bridge). Something like the i5-4690K at stock will do great under most conditions, and when taking Turbo Boost into account, overclocking in many situations may not be warranted. Of course, it's always nice to have the extra headroom, especially for cases that you might not expect to be very demanding in Dolphin, but actually are (4-player Mario Kart Wii for example).

ReNero Wrote:The two boards are the same except for the PCI Express 16X, 16X in the operating UD3H. This feature is worth the difference of about € 15 (if in the future I wanted to add a dedicated vga ...)? It 'a good motherboard for Dolphin?

Looks good to me. Check out some reviews before you get it though. Newegg generally seems favorable of it.

ReNero Wrote:In the case of ram I would be more focused on the 1866 MHz (overclocking future) could be a problem for Dolphin?

Dolphin shouldn't really be picky about what kind of RAM you're running or at what speeds. As long as there is enough RAM, Dolphin is happy. 8GB is more than enough.

ReNero Wrote:This power supply (as well as the middle tower ATX case) is already in my possession. It can fit at least initially (without overclocking and without dedicated video card) or is undersized?

If you're asking if it will provide enough power for your components, there are online power calculators available, such as this one -> http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp If your configuration cuts it pretty close, you might want to upgrade it.
Shonumi thanks for the quick and kind reply!
According to the link you gave me, my power supply should have no problems.
I will follow your advice and take the i5. In your opinion with the Intel 4600 dell'i5 I can play with the dolphin at 720p?
It depends on how demanding the game is for the GPU, but since 2x IR is above 720p, and 3x is around 1080p, you'll be fine.
Thanks KHg8m3r!
however, for more power will take an i7 4970K...
Just so you know, the i5 and i7 perform the same at the same clock speeds, so you won't get a benefit in Dolphin, but if you want it for other stuff.....