Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this new system of mine play GameCube/Wii games at 4k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
at maximum settings?

Corsair Obsidian 900D Full Tower Ultimate Case
Cold Cathode 30cm Twin V2 Blue fitted within case
Intel Core i7 5960X Haswell-E 8-Cored 3.50GHz Processor (Overclocked up to 4.8 GHz per core)
Full Dual Loop Water Cooling for CPUs and Video Cards - Prometheus
Diamond 24 Thermal Paste
Corsair Air Series Fans in White (complete case replacement pack)
ASUS Rampage V Extreme Intel X99 Motherboard with 802.11 AC wireless and Bluetooth 4.0 included
32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666MHz Memory (8 x 4GB sticks)
Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Graphics Card (overclocked)
3 x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (RAID 0)
Corsair AX 1500i 80 PLS Titanium Modular 1500W PSU
3D Vision Glasses 2
Onboard High Definition Audio
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
Windows Optimisation Service
Elite Chillblast Cable Management
5 Year Warranty with 2 Years Collect and Return (UK only)
Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" G-Sync 144Hz Gaming Widescreen Monitor
Dolphin doesn't work with SLI , Crossfire or dual GPU , only one GPU is used. Dolphin is a dual core application
I'm not so sure about maximum graphic settings . SSAA is very demanding on GPU
With other AA like MSAA then maybe ...
(11-15-2014, 01:07 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin doesn't work with SLI , Crossfire or dual GPU , only one GPU is used. Dolphin is a dual core application
I'm not so sure about maximum graphic settings . SSAA is very demanding on GPU
With other AA like MSAA then maybe ...

My CPU is a 8 core. So, I should be totally fine here, right?

You're telling me an overclocked 980 GTX will not be able to handle the maximum load?
Dolphin only uses two cores, generally. Additional cores will help with background processing (OS stuff and the like) giving quad-cores and above a 10-20% advantage over dual-cores, but it's not like more cores equals more Dolphin performance. In practice, you need two really fast cores with high single-threaded performance. Don't worry, the i7-5960X is more than enough for almost anything Dolphin can throw at it.

About the GPU, there really are no "maximum" settings. You can keep setting Dolphin's IR as high as you want now, via .ini settings. There's no "upper limit" except for however much memory your system can allocate to drawing such a huge image. The GTX 980 will do fine for 4K gaming though. If you add SSAA to the mix, you'll be putting a serious hurt on even that GPU, since you're actually forcing the GPU to create an image at 8K (4xSSAA produces an image 2x the width and 2x the height of the original target resolution) and then shrinks it down to 4K. That's a lot of pixels to push, for any GPU. It may work, but MSAA and FXAA and a host of other AA methods are always cheaper options in terms of GPU resource usage.
Like i said , Dolphin is a dual core application . In other words , 2 cores is used mainly , the rest will be at idle mode
Quote:You're telling me an overclocked 980 GTX will not be able to handle the maximum load?
I give you an example :
2xIR (720p) + 4x SSAA = 2xIR x 2 = 4xIR
Considering that you will use maximum 4xIR (2560x2112) or higher res (your native res) , adding 4x SSAA will double your resolution . 4x SSAA is not the maximum SSAA btw , 9xSSAA is ...
What the hell, that PC is overkill!!!. You must be rich or something and have money to waste, not dolphin nor any PC games need a quad GTX 980. Wait don't tell me you built that PC for the sole purpose of running dolphin lol.
(11-15-2014, 02:37 AM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]What the hell, that PC is overkill!!!. You must be rich or something and have money to waste, not dolphin nor any PC games need a quad GTX 980. Wait don't tell me you built that PC for the sole purpose of running dolphin lol.

Hi,

Hah, no. It's to play games at 4K at Ultra settings, when I get around to buying one that can play games at 120hz and in 3D. Smile

(11-15-2014, 01:40 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin only uses two cores, generally. Additional cores will help with background processing (OS stuff and the like) giving quad-cores and above a 10-20% advantage over dual-cores, but it's not like more cores equals more Dolphin performance. In practice, you need two really fast cores with high single-threaded performance. Don't worry, the i7-5960X is more than enough for almost anything Dolphin can throw at it.

About the GPU, there really are no "maximum" settings. You can keep setting Dolphin's IR as high as you want now, via .ini settings. There's no "upper limit" except for however much memory your system can allocate to drawing such a huge image. The GTX 980 will do fine for 4K gaming though. If you add SSAA to the mix, you'll be putting a serious hurt on even that GPU, since you're actually forcing the GPU to create an image at 8K (4xSSAA produces an image 2x the width and 2x the height of the original target resolution) and then shrinks it down to 4K. That's a lot of pixels to push, for any GPU. It may work, but MSAA and FXAA and a host of other AA methods are always cheaper options in terms of GPU resource usage.

Alright, thanks for the input. I'll make sure Dolphin's IR is set to reflect the actual dimensions of my current monitor.

But, playing games at HD with no lag, I should be fine, right?

(11-15-2014, 01:44 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Like i said , Dolphin is a dual core application . In other words , 2 cores is used mainly , the rest will be at idle mode
Quote:You're telling me an overclocked 980 GTX will not be able to handle the maximum load?
I give you an example :
2xIR (720p) + 4x SSAA = 2xIR x 2 = 4xIR
Considering that you will use maximum 4xIR (2560x2112) or higher res (your native res) , adding 4x SSAA will double your resolution . 4x SSAA is not the maximum SSAA btw , 9xSSAA is ...

Thanks, I understand. I guess we'll find out one way or the other, right? Tongue
Smiggy Wrote:But, playing games at HD with no lag, I should be fine, right?

Yes. 4K in Dolphin actually isn't nearly as demanding as it is in most modern PC games, and people have done it with less than a GTX 980. You're good to go.
(11-15-2014, 12:06 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
Smiggy Wrote:But, playing games at HD with no lag, I should be fine, right?

Yes. 4K in Dolphin actually isn't nearly as demanding as it is in most modern PC games, and people have done it with less than a GTX 980. You're good to go.

That's great. I'm going to see how Dolphin fares at a resolution of 2560 x 1440.

Should be fun! Tongue
no offence, but it's like you copied and pasted the description directly from the official part's vendors website and pasted them here. I mean so many people ask "can my pc run dolphin?" and then they paste a system with every part maxed out as possible and list parts that don't even matter for emulation like liquid cooling and their pc case.

Obviously your system can run dolphin at full settings but it won't use all 4 graphic cards nor will it use more than 2 cores.
Pages: 1 2