Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Good enough Setup or no?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

boycott751

Im new to the whole PC gaming thing and one of the things i wanted to do was use the dolphin emu. Now for some games i am able to play them perfectly with little to no framrate drop, like super mario sunshine, budokia 2 and digimon world 4. but others like super metroid, and goblin commander have insanly low framrate drops, like 50% each. i would love some help determining if this setup is good enough for Dolphin, any help would be appreciated.

here is da setup.

AMD Anthlon X4 750K Processor 3.4 GHz Base 4.0 GHz Turbo

8GB Crucial Ballistics RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

Windows Ultimate x64 bit

If im missing anything sorry. i also did a bit of research but could not really find anything machting how well my CPU would do with Emulators, just games like cod or others. any help would be appreciated.
Are you looking to buy that setup, or you already own it?

If you already own it, just try out some games.

If you haven't bought it, what's your budget, as an Intel machine is better for emulators and PC games

boycott751

lol, i guess i should have been more specific, this is my current setup that i currently own as of about 2 months ago, and using this PC i am able to play some games like super mario sunshine, digimon world 4, budakai 2 with litterall little to no framerate drop.. but games i want to play i cant due to major framerate drop, like super metroid, and goblin commander. and waht i meant with this post was if my current setup is ok for dolphin since i can only run some games but can barely run others. any ideas on why?
AMD does not focus on single threaded performance, which is what Dolphin needs. That cpu is relatively weak for Dolphin, but should be good enough for some lightweight/medium games. That's why you can run some games at full speed and others not at full speed. You should see a big performance boost by upgrading to the latest developer version of Dolphin though. Other than that, your only option would be to upgrade the cpu.

boycott751

oh kk ill download that then. but is there any other decent ways of increasing performance? (other than messing with the options because mine are already set for peak performance)
Overclock your CPU. Free performance increase
There's also a third option - Try Tino's Unofficial Ishiiruka build with a cocktail of performance-boosting features: 'Direct3D9 Backend', 'Precompiled Vertex Loaders', 'Full Async Shader Compilation', 'Dual Source Blend', 'VBeam with Framelimit set to Audio', 'OpenAL Time Stretching' and the awesome 'Fast EFB Access' option:
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-un...om-version
(11-14-2014, 09:04 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]'VBeam with Framelimit set to Audio'

The other suggestions from kirbypuff are good if the latest dev build and overclcoking don't help, BUT DON'T USE THE ABOVE OPTION UNLESS YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED TO. It causes really weird physics in some games, and odd crashes in others.
Your specs shouldn't need you to rely on that.
And AFAIK audio framelimiter was removed on latest dev.