Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: The CPU Speed is not a problem! (it is Mac's fault)!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
hey..

I don't usually turn off any apps in the background.. (Kaspersky IS, ATI CC, and many others)..
I play PC games with the highest configurations with no slowlyness.

In Dolphin the games are grate (the motions a little bit slow) but the usage of the CPU never passed 35% ram 25% even with all backgrounds apps..

I followed what krypking said here:
(07-01-2009, 05:25 AM)krypking Wrote: [ -> ]
Orleans' SkyDrive - [color=#FFA500]New and old builds found here[/color]
Orleans' MediaFire - [color=#FFA500]New build download mirror[/color]

[color=#FF0000]Note: Orleans is now compiling builds with [/color] Watchdog Config Patch V3 [color=#FF0000]included. The default setting for watchdog without the patch is 60. It was originally designed for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, which gets an FPS increase when set to 15. Other games have been reported as having an increase at various settings, check the link for more information. Have fun!

Also, a note about the new unlimited JIT cache option. It can be activated by the games ini, and is adapted to work better with watchdog.[/color]

[color=#FFA500]About This Post:[/color]

[color=#000080]I am not the compiler / uploader, I am just posting the link because of the frequency of updates. New builds are compiled by Orleans and uploaded 2 or 3 times a day, maybe more, and these and older builds can also be found on his SkyDrive. I update the title with the latest build number as often as I can, but I may not catch every update, meaning that if the build number in the title is behind by more than 5 builds, check anyway. I may have just not updated due to being away from the computer. Also, if you have any questions or need help with anything, you can post here, but please read the links above and search the forums first to see if you can find an answer yourself. Happy gaming everyone![/color]

[color=#FFA500]Tips for Windows Users:[/color]

[color=#000080]Open notepad and put in this code:

TASKKILL /IM EXPLORER.EXE /F
TASKKILL /IM SIDEBAR.EXE /F
start /high /wait DolphinIL.exe
start explorer.exe
start sidebar "without .exe"

Now save the file as a ".bat" in the Dolphin's main folder, making sure to change the "Save as type" drop menu to "All Files". It doesn't matter what file name you give it, as long as you make sure to end it in ".bat". Now run the bat file. What this does is close the graphical user interface of windows, "explorer.exe", and start Dolphin. This is a very CPU and Memory hogging process. It opens again when you close Dolphin. Doing this should give you a little FPS boost. Thanks to hansenderek for this tip.

If you have a resource hogging antivirus program like McAfee, Norton, or Kaspersky, get rid of it. I recommend using avast! Home Edition, it's free and works better than any antivirus program I've used, and the best part is it barely uses any resources.

Download the Game Booster program from the link above, install it, and run it before you play games in Dolphin. It works by temporarily shutting down background processes, cleaning RAM, and intensifying processor performance. This should increase FPS. Thanks to manaurys for finding and providing this link.

Dolphin needs as much CPU and Memory as it can get. In the start menu, press Run..., then type msconfig and press enter. Now click the Startup tab, and untick everything u don't need running when Windows starts. This should free up a lot of CPU and Memory, and may increase FPS.

To get the most FPS out of Dolphin, enable dual core if your CPU has it, and disable other audio (throttle) in the DSP HLE plugin. Unticking native resolution and setting it low also helps. If you have multiple moniters, disable all but the one running Dolphin.

I see a lot of posts made about newest builds not working all the time. If you experience any problems with a new build that you did not experience in any previous build, just use the newest working build. Eventually a fix for the problem will be committed, which usually doesn't take long, and you can continue using the newest builds as usual.[/color]

http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/newreply.p...&pid=18859

I turned off the background apps I did the ".bat" file and run it and I also downloaded Game Booster & installed it (@ Game Mode) but no improvements in Dolphin performance what so ever..

So.. I guess it is not the CPU fault.. isn't it?

Smile : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dH3S3yhElM
those 2 solutions make VERY small differences if any. I'm not sure what you can do because i am a windows user
Is XP or Vista installed on your Mac ?

Are you trying to run dolphin on OSX ?

What are your Computer specs ?

Cheers !
(08-25-2009, 04:47 PM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]What are your Computer specs ?

your joking right?
Not at all , Am I not understanding something here ?

I thought the guy had a Mac !??
There is no way the comp in his sig is a Mac ?!:!!
Are you crazy? You have an i7 extreme cpu and you think turning off running programs is going to improve performance? That stuff only helps if you have like a 2.1ghz c2d or something.
(08-25-2009, 06:20 PM)jasong Wrote: [ -> ]Are you crazy? You have an i7 extreme cpu and you think turning off running programs is going to improve performance? That stuff only helps if you have like a 2.1ghz c2d or something.

wtf are you smoking? it brings back some processing power, it helps no matter what speed ur cpu is
(08-27-2009, 04:31 PM)THELUKESTIR Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2009, 06:20 PM)jasong Wrote: [ -> ]Are you crazy? You have an i7 extreme cpu and you think turning off running programs is going to improve performance? That stuff only helps if you have like a 2.1ghz c2d or something.

wtf are you smoking? it brings back some processing power, it helps no matter what speed ur cpu is

Not noticeably and certainly not enough to affect dolphin performance. That processor is 4-cored and hyperthreaded as it is - effectively he could have four threads independently running processes and still play dolphin without any bottleneck.
those tips are mainly for windows, especially the bat file, which only works with windows. short of enabling dual core and disabling other audio in the gui, theres not much u can do for speed. i would definitely recommend getting a nice aftermarket cpu cooler and overclocking your cpu to 4ghz or more.
ugh i wish...lol Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5