Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Acer Aspire v5-473PG any good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop that can run games at basic speeds not really into the 4xIR and whatnot

But i'm just wondering if this laptop is any good.

It runs intel i5-4200u with a Nvidia GEforce GT 740M with 4GB dedicated RAM.

I'm hoping to atleast run Mario Galaxy 2, Smash Brawl, Mario Sunshine, the Zelda and Pokemon series for wii and also some sonic games.

Just at basic playable settings atleast with minimal lagg.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance Smile
If it had the i5-4200'M' not 'U' then i would of said that would be fine since the i5-4200M turbos up to 3.0ghz on 2 cores the other one (i5-4200U) only goes up to 2.6ghz which debate the performance of some of those games i.e. super mario galaxy 2. I would choose another laptop.
(11-09-2014, 09:53 PM)Arith Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop that can run games at basic speeds not really into the 4xIR and whatnot

I'm hoping to atleast run Mario Galaxy 2, Smash Brawl, Mario Sunshine, the Zelda and Pokemon series for wii and also some sonic games.

You need a better haswell cpu than that, a 4200M at least.
(11-09-2014, 10:01 PM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]If it had the i5-4200'M' not 'U' then i would of said that would be fine since the i5-4200M turbos up to 3.0ghz on 2 cores the other one (i5-4200U) only goes up to 2.6ghz which debate the performance of some of those games i.e. super mario galaxy 2. I would choose another laptop.

Ahh I see. Thank you for the answer. Tbh I myself aren't really sure how to accurately figure performance out based on GPU and CPU seeing as if the GPU is good and the CPU is bad, no dice and vice versa.

The CPU benchmark doesn't really help either because I've no idea how to read it. :S

(11-09-2014, 10:02 PM)Link_to_the_past Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-09-2014, 09:53 PM)Arith Wrote: [ -> ]Hey guys,

You need a better haswell cpu than that, a 4200M at least.

So.. 4200M and higher will be what I should be looking for? thank you Smile
There are two benchmarks, one with all the CPUs, and one with the Wii. Here's the Wii one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...Fa1E#gid=0

As you can see, the i5-4200U is slower than the actual Wii. The higher you go (closer to 1) up either chart, the more CPU demanding games you can play.
(11-10-2014, 05:34 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]There are two benchmarks, one with all the CPUs, and one with the Wii. Here's the Wii one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...Fa1E#gid=0

As you can see, the i5-4200U is slower than the actual Wii. The higher you go (closer to 1) up either chart, the more CPU demanding games you can play.

Got it. Thanks a bunch. Smile