Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Can I get an evaluation on my setup?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

bigfatso

Hello, I've been trying for a few days now to try and get the dolphin emulator to run reasonably well. The two games that I have are Paper Mario and Wind Waker, however, with both I can't get FPS higher than 15. I've been through many different guides on how to optimally configure the emulator for higher FPS but I can't seem to get any headway with it. This is my first post, is there any way I can attach my specs that I entered upon signup? I've read on some sources that most AMD processors have difficulties with dolphin, not sure if this is true or not. I also know that I have a medium end video card. When running I've checked my usage through task manager and dolphin never spikes and never appears to use more than 35% of my CPU.

Thanks,
BigFats

Operating System: Windows 8 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.40GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7570
Memory/RAM: 10 GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin 4.0.2 x86

I updated to Dolphin 4.0-4019 (64 bit) - and now I am getting solid 30 fps, so happy, must have been the 64 bit... thanks in advance for anyone reading this.

(11-03-2014, 11:17 AM)bigfatso Wrote: [ -> ]Hello, I've been trying for a few days now to try and get the dolphin emulator to run reasonably well. The two games that I have are Paper Mario and Wind Waker, however, with both I can't get FPS higher than 15. I've been through many different guides on how to optimally configure the emulator for higher FPS but I can't seem to get any headway with it. This is my first post, is there any way I can attach my specs that I entered upon signup? I've read on some sources that most AMD processors have difficulties with dolphin, not sure if this is true or not. I also know that I have a medium end video card. When running I've checked my usage through task manager and dolphin never spikes and never appears to use more than 35% of my CPU.

Thanks,
BigFats

Operating System: Windows 8 x64
Processor/CPU: AMD A10-5700 3.40GHz
Video Card/GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7570
Memory/RAM: 10 GB
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin 4.0.2 x86
Your GPU is fine, the issue comes from your CPU.

What you experienced in updating to the latest dev build is the speed improvements of over 4000 changes since the stable builds (and the 64 bit over 32 bit also helped) Smile

But back to the topic of your CPU. Dolphin is a dual-core program, so it will only run on two CPU threads. The faster those 2 threads (cores) are, the faster Dolphin will run. Over the past few years, AMD focused on multi-threaded performance and off-loading to the GPU instead of increase per core speeds. Thus, AMD CPUs are slow for Dolphin.