Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does Dolphin fully compatible for 5960x?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Aleksei.F.DRGNV

My current PC died from overheating/defects. i decided to spend some money on new stuffs

Yeah i know, dolphin only using 2 cores
My plan is to Overclock just 2 cores when playing Dolphin

(Might be) Future Spec
-i7 5960x
-Rampage V (or X99 deluxe)
-GTX 780 (the VGA survived)
-Windows 7 ulti

Couple questions before i buy them
Any of you guys using Haswell-E?
Is dolphin experiencing some problem with them?
Dolphin works with any x86 or x64 CPU...

if Haswell-E means "enthusiasm" edition, then yes, it works...
Short answer: Should be enough, but we really canĀ“t tell which possible advantage it would have against 4690K and 4790K (the 5960X has not been tested yet (?)).
It would have no advantage. Its lower max clock rate would actually make it slower. And overclocking just two cores won't help much as dolphin jumps from one core to another quite often. But it will work and it will work well.

Aleksei.F.DRGNV

(10-31-2014, 09:40 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]It would have no advantage. Its lower max clock rate would actually make it slower. And overclocking just two cores won't help much as dolphin jumps from one core to another quite often. But it will work and it will work well.

I'm not using the PC just for gaming, and those extra cores can bring advantage for me
So, what about disabling 6 cores and overclocking 2 of them?

Thanks guys for ur replies
You would be better served disabling 4-5 cores if you were going to go to those lengths. Dolphin benefits from having an extra core for the OS to run background tasks on. Again it will run fine just not quite as fast as something like a 4790K.