Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Does overclocked intel g3258 stutter when running Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

MikeH72

I have heard good things about the intel g3258 processor for running Dolphin but I was wondering if this processor has any problems with stuttering frame rate while running Dolphin at 1080p and when the processor is overclocked at the 4.0 or higher GHz range. I ask this because there seemed to be some stuttering in frame rate going on in TopicOverclocker's youtube videos and I saw a benchmark test where the g3258 a significant variable frame rate with certain games.

I want to upgrade my old computer with the g3258 processor to run Dolphin and don't want to get it unless it can run Dolphin full speed at 1080p without frame rate stuttering.
It can handle every game pretty well (very close to the level of i5-4690K/i7-4790K). If that guy had stutter, maybe it was because of running the game for the first time (shader cache generation).

The G3258 will handle up to 4.7 GHz perfectly even with Intel stock cooler.
(10-21-2014, 05:59 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]The G3258 will handle up to 4.7 GHz perfectly even with Intel stock cooler.

I see most reviews hitting 4.7 with a large HSF, where are you seeing people hit that with stock cooling?
The chip at stock uses about half as much power as a stock 4690K/4790K, which both use the same stock cooler. This cooler is designed to be more than enough for either of this bigger chips, so all the G3258 has to do is not lose more power to heat than it's bigger siblings. It requires a bigger overclock than you can normally get with standard equipment before it emits this much heat, so a normal overclock is still within the stock cooler's specification.
I'm running a G3258 overclocked to 4.4GHz, on the stock cooler. Voltage is at 1.26V, which leads to maximum temps of around 65C while playing Dolphin. This is in a case with average airflow and using the integrated graphics. I don't get any stutters at all, everything is buttery smooth, and only the most intensive games (Super Mario Galaxy comes to mind) causes Dolphin to dip below 60fps occasionally.

In other words, the G3258 is a godsend for Dolphin. Pair it with a GTX 750 Ti or something and you have a seriously low power, low cost, high performance Dolphin rig.
@AnyOldName3

Are you sure it uses the same stock cooler as the i5/i7s?

@MikeH72

There are half a dozen possible causes of stuttering. We would need a lot more information to narrow it down. Also the term "stuttering" can mean several different things. Audio stuttering can be caused by a cpu that is slow but frame stuttering cannot (at least in dolphin). The stuttering could also be caused by the recording software which can put a heavy load on the cpu and HDD. You need much faster hardware to record footage without stuttering than to just play the game without stuttering.