Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GTX 980 or 970 with Dolphin at 4k. Has anyone tried it out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,
I haven't bought a new graphics card yet because no gfx card has HDMI 2.0 support and my 4K TV has no Displayport plugs. But NVidia's latest series of graphics cards finally has HDMI 2.0! But they are really expensive... So before I'll get one I'd like to know if someone already ran dolphin on it at 4K-res and could tell me how the performances are especially for games like F-Zero GX, Twilight Princess, Skyward sword, Metroid games, Mario & Sonic at the XXX olympics...
And does the performance decrease when recording a video of the gameplay?
I think I should also mention that my CPU clock is at 3,1GHz (3.8 turbo).

Well, I expect that most games would run fine at 4K, since the graphical requirements aren't as high as for the latest PC games. But it's always nice to verify.
(10-19-2014, 04:10 PM)CosmoCortney Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,
I haven't bought a new graphics card yet because no gfx card has HDMI 2.0 support and my 4K TV has no Displayport plugs. But NVidia's latest series of graphics cards finally has HDMI 2.0! But they are really expensive... So before I'll get one I'd like to know if someone already ran dolphin on it at 4K-res and could tell me how the performances are especially for games like F-Zero GX, Twilight Princess, Skyward sword, Metroid games, Mario & Sonic at the XXX olympics...
And does the performance decrease when recording a video of the gameplay?
I think I should also mention that my CPU clock is at 3,1GHz (3.8 turbo).

Well, I expect that most games would run fine at 4K, since the graphical requirements aren't as high as for the latest PC games. But it's always nice to verify.

Your CPU might limit things a bit...

Either 9xx card should be fine, Cryzen here and on YouTube was running things well at 4K on a 770 (or was it a 780, I forget). I have a Superclocked ACX 2.0 GTX 980 and looking forward to getting a 4K display in the next year (unless I cave and grab the 1440p ROG G-sync in the meantime).

If Dolphin is important then get a 970 with decent after market cooling and spend the balance you would have otherwise spent getting a 980 on getting a better CPU in there. The Strix 970 could be overclocked to attain 93% of the performance of a reference 980 in one of the reviews I saw.
Okay, thanks you!

I was thinking about getting the 980 strix or SC ACX.
But until now I ran almost every game very well on dolphin at 1080p (even on an i7 920 @ 2.6GHz). The only game that often lags is Twilight Princess and a few other ones.
However, if the performance won't be perfect due the CPU I could try overclocking it a bit.
You can do 4k on a 7850 in Dolphin so 4k is cake for a 900 series GPU.
From what I can tell, your Xeon e5-2687W is a Sandy-Bridge version. What that means is you'll hit a CPU bottleneck before you hit a GPU bottleneck.

Twilight Princess is lagging because it is a CPU bottleneck. You should use the latest dev build with the new Twilight Princess patch (its under the game properties for TP)
Ohh, I see. This sounds legit..
thank you, i will have a look for this dev build

fls1

(10-20-2014, 07:31 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]From what I can tell, your Xeon e5-2687W is a Sandy-Bridge version. What that means is you'll hit a CPU bottleneck before you hit a GPU bottleneck.

Twilight Princess is lagging because it is a CPU bottleneck. You should use the latest dev build with the new Twilight Princess patch (its under the game properties for TP)

Hi,

I probably didn't look where I should have, but could you please tell me where exactly can i find the new twilight princess patch? Because I have some lags in hyrule field and I was told this patch is supposed to fix it a bit.

Thanks for you help
Download latest dev build from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
Right-click on Twilight Princess in your game list. Under properties>patches, enable the new Twilight Princess patch

fls1

Perfect! it's much better indeed with the patch.

Thank you for your help.
Happy playing
Pages: 1 2