Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: what performance decrease should I expect?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have an i5 4670k at 4.4GHz but have been hearing very good things about the G3258 OCed to 4.5 or 4.6. This would give me a definite boost in Dolphin, but what performance decrease should I expect in other applications? (Pc games in general for example)
I don't think 100-200 Mhz would be worth it
(10-17-2014, 01:42 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]I have an i5 4670k at 4.4GHz but have been hearing very good things about the G3258 OCed to 4.5 or 4.6. This would give me a definite boost in Dolphin, but what performance decrease should I expect in other applications? (Pc games in general for example)

I think you've gone crazy.
Overclocking your CPU to 4.5 or 4.6 would give the same results, pretty much exactly, except with your extra cache there might be a percent higher performance. 1% at most, pulling this out of the air of course, but that's entirely not worth it.

Besides you have an amazing Overclocker you could push yours to 4.6 no problem.

I got a very bad G3258 wont go above 4.2 GHZ with any reasonable voltage. If you bought a G3258 yours might be as bad as mine.

TLDR: Don't do it!

Edit: Heres anandtechs answer: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overc...g3258-ae/2
Oh ok I see, I just asked because I thought it would perform better (as it performs quite the same as for example a 4690k at same speeds) thanks for your replies
(10-17-2014, 02:13 AM)linker357 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh ok I see, I just asked because I thought it would perform better (as it performs quite the same as for example a 4690k at same speeds) thanks for your replies

I think I read your question very wrongly.

Some games will take a very large hit like anything with heavy CPU usage. And there would be a huge difference in performance in games if you have dual or more graphics cards installed.
You will pretty much need 4 cores if you want to do multiple graphics cards or you'll be wasting money.
Multithreaded things of course would take a big hit.

Go to the first page of anandtech article I linked it shows game performance and explanations on that.
Having a quad core cpu boosts dolphins performance by 10-20% so a G3258 would be slower at 4.6GHz than your current cpu at 4.4GHz.
I thought we'd decided it barely makes any difference whether it's a dual or a quad (even though it's counter intuitive).
Not really. We've consistently said that those extra cores are useful for background processing.
Then why have we let people say that a G3258@4.7 = a 4690K@4.6 for months? I'm surprised no-ones noticed how often its said if it isn't true.
Probably because we don't have enough active people around here who are sticklers for detail like NV. The 10-20% difference between quad and dual-core has always been a thing as it relates to Dolphin, even before the G3258 came out. I can only assume 1) people are very enamored with the G3258 and don't think about the dual-core/quad-core difference or 2) people have been extrapolating data based on delroth's old benchmark, but no one has (or only a handful has) verified how the G3258 actually performs or 3) Intel really baked in magic into their products (again!)
Pages: 1 2