Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Computer completely Hardlocking when I try to run any game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

SymBiotiX

OK, so I recently decided that I'd like to try Dolphin out, but for some reason it seems to completely and utterly hard lock my system whenever I try to run anything (Wii game, WAD game, etc)

Here is a quick video to show whats happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mIXuyJSueA

I'm using version 4.0.2 x64
The freeze is so hard that my system doesn't even respond to the keyboard crash initiation sequence (right ctrl + scroll lock twice) and I need to hold my power button until it turns off to do anything else.

I have tried tweaking all the settings like crazy and nothing seems to work. Anybody have any sort of idea that would help me out? No idea what I should do at this point.

edit: sorry, forgot to post my specs

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Processor/CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Video Card/GPU: 2 x AMD Radeon 7970 in CrossFire
Memory/RAM: 2 x 8 GB Ripjaws X - F3-12800CL9-3GBXL
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: 4.0.2
Try the latest dev build from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

SymBiotiX

(10-14-2014, 11:38 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Try the latest dev build from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Tried the newest dev version, but still the same result Sad
This isn't a known issue with Dolphin. It may be related to something else. Try updating your GPU drivers (or downgrading them if you have the latest). It could be an OS issue too. It's really hard to say though, since the computer completely freezes up and there isn't much you can do to investigate the cause right after it happens. Windows may have written a log of some sort before the freeze, but I have no idea how you would find that off the top of my head, if it even exists.
Usually complete system crashes underline hardware or driver issues. Everyone or at least a lot of people would experience it if they were program issues.
Try running the event viewer (by typing event viewer into the search box on the start menu) to see if it shows any errors, critical errors, warnings, or other notes around the time your system crashed, and then report back what you find.

SymBiotiX

Thanks for the replies. I figured this probably wasnt a program issue since I can't find anything about it happening to anybody else.
Seems really weird though. This is a fresh install of windows 7 x64 ultimate, latest drivers for everything, and anything else that uses opengl or directx seems to work.
I've also run memtest for a whole day and saw no errors.

I would absolutely love it if windows would actually crash, but this is some sort of crazy hard lock where no logs are written and I can't even force a blue screen (using the ctrl + scrolllock tech) to get it to write a dump file.
I'll check out the event viewer when I get a chance.

Weird thing is, this happens even if I choose CPU emulation in the graphics dialog, so I want to say it's probably not the graphics cards, but I guess I cant rule that out 100%?
If all else fails you could try installing linux on a separate partition.