Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Unable to use any audio backend *RESOLVED*
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
INFO

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
Intel Core2Quad Q8300 2.5GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 7770 1GB
Onboard Sound - Realtek HD Audio

Tested using: 4.0-3591, 4.0-3612, all x64 and installed on non-main partition in separate folder from other programs

Encountered problem: Attempting to load any game on either audio backend causes an error and a crash of entire program.
Under XAudio2: Attempting to load any game immeidately results in "XAudio2_7 master voice creation failed: 0X88890017" followed by "Could not initialize backend XAudio2" followed by "Sound backend XAudio2 is not valid" followed by "Dolphin.exe has stopped working" with a force crash.
Under OpenAL: attempting load immediately displays error "OpenAL: can't find sound devices" followed by "Could not initialize backend OpenAL" followed by "Sound backend OpenAL is not valid" followed by "Dolphin.exe has stopped working"
Using no sound backend lets the games run, but I would really like to have some kind of sound.

Methods tried for resolution: Updated Realtek HD Audio drivers, tried DSP LLE instead of HLE, turned off all other audio extra options, switched from -3591 to -3612, nothing I've tried has fixed it so far. Could I get some help?

***********RESOLUTION FOUND************
Copying Dolphin's .dll's to \System32 and giving it a restart fixed the issue. I now have sound.
UNZIP YOUR DOLPHIN INSTEAD OF RUNNING THE .EXE STRAIGHT FROM INSIDE 7ZIP, IT'S UNABLE TO READ THE .DLLS WHEN YOU DO THAT

RIGHT-CLICK DOLPHIN.7Z AND DO "7ZIP" > "EXTRACT HERE" OR "EXTRACT TO [FOLDERNAME]"

MICROSOFT'S BUILT-IN ZIP SUPPORT TELLS YOU ABOUT THIS PITFALL WHENEVER YOU RUN AN .EXE STRAIGHT FROM INSIDE A ZIP WITH OTHER FILES IN IT, 7ZIP SHOULD TOO

(ALSO I'M NOT YELLING, I'M EXCITED ABOUT UNRELATED THINGS)
(10-14-2014, 06:43 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]UNZIP YOUR DOLPHIN INSTEAD OF RUNNING THE .EXE STRAIGHT FROM INSIDE 7ZIP, IT'S UNABLE TO READ THE .DLLS WHEN YOU DO THAT

RIGHT-CLICK DOLPHIN.7Z AND DO "7ZIP" > "EXTRACT HERE" OR "EXTRACT TO [FOLDERNAME]"

MICROSOFT'S BUILT-IN ZIP SUPPORT TELLS YOU ABOUT THIS PITFALL WHENEVER YOU RUN AN .EXE STRAIGHT FROM INSIDE A ZIP WITH OTHER FILES IN IT, 7ZIP SHOULD TOO

(ALSO I'M NOT YELLING, I'M EXCITED ABOUT UNRELATED THINGS)
I haven't been running them from the zip, I always have them extracted to a specified folder for Dolphin to run from.
Are you running sound from your Audio Card, or your GPU?
Either way, check for any updates for both of their drivers.
(10-14-2014, 07:08 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Are you running sound from your Audio Card, or your GPU?
Either way, check for any updates for both of their drivers.

Pretty sure sound can only run from my audio card since I'm not connected via HDMI to my GPU. Audio driver was updated today and the GPU driver was updated within the last few days.
Ok, I was asking because of HDMI audio. In that case, do you have an HDMI cable and tv to test with?
Have you used Dolphin before today with working sound?
(10-14-2014, 07:23 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, I was asking because of HDMI audio. In that case, do you have an HDMI cable and tv to test with?
Have you used Dolphin before today with working sound?

I don't have a working TV to test with unfortunately as my big screen recently became a 100lb paperweight. I had used an older version of Dolphin in the past with sound for the most part working (some games didn't work correctly, most did), I updated to the newer version after seeing the PC Gamer article which made me want to try it again to see if the games I used to try to play would run better or with more accurate emulation. Since updating to the 4.0.x versions I have been getting those errors. *edit* I'm pretty sure the version I had before is definitely one of the old, unsupported versions as I hadn't touched Dolphin in a year at least.
Got it working, see OP for resolution method that fixed it. Sorry if I was a bit of a nuisance especially since after asking for help I just ended up fixing it on my own. Hopefully if anyone else has the same issue they can at least come along and try this method for fixing it for them.
Protip: never just copy .dlls into System32, find their proper installers first. XAudio would be provided by DirectX 10/11 installers, while OpenAL would probably just be provided by Creative's OpenAL installers.
(10-14-2014, 08:48 AM)pauldacheez Wrote: [ -> ]Protip: never just copy .dlls into System32, find their proper installers first. XAudio would be provided by DirectX 10/11 installers, while OpenAL would probably just be provided by Creative's OpenAL installers.

Well, I have DX11 already with updates from versions as far back as 9, I never had to install Creative software so I never would have known that OpenAL was a Creative thing. How XAudio wasn't working with DX already in and up to date is beyond me if that stuff is supposed to be included with it. I really don't give too much of a hoot right now as it's working and isn't crashing and nothing else is going wrong, so I'm content.
Pages: 1 2