Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: I can run GC games flawlessly, Wii games... Not so much.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My current specs are as follows...

GeForce GTX 660 Ti (EVGA, Not OCd)
Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Not OCd)
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
ASRock P67 Pro3 SE

Dolphin 4.0.2 was used with OpenGL at minimum settings, aside from my internal resolution being at auto and my fullscreen resolution being at 1920x1080.

Like I said I can run GC games flawlessly, but when it comes to games like Pokemon Battle Revolution and Metroid Prime Trilogy, hoo-boy the frames are most certainly not real. I have a feeling it's my CPU, I wouldn't need dual GPUs for Wii games would I? Now I can run Metroid Prime 1 and 2 perfectly on the GC side, but I've really been wanting to try out my mouse and keyboard, and the only way this can be done is through the Wii versions.
It has nothing to do with GC vs Wii; those two Wii games are very, very demanding. Metroid Prime 1 and 2 are demanding, but not THAT demanding.
The problem is that you're trying to run some pretty demanding games (Pokemon Battle Revolution in particular has some high CPU requirements) without overclocking your CPU and you're using a build that is significantly slower than the most recent development builds (and 4.0 is not supported, 4.0.2 is supported, but its still ridiculously slow in comparison to something like 4.0-3587).

A lot of changes have happened in Dolphin recently (most games are easily 30%+ faster than in 4.0) so you're not doing yourself any favors sticking to the stable builds. Get something newer here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/ With this changes, it may not be necessary to OC your CPU. If you still get slowdowns, you'll have to bite the bullet in that regard.

Also not that in Dolphin, Wii games are not necessarily more demanding than GC games. It depends on what the game wants Dolphin to do, and how fast Dolphin can do it. If a certain Wii games wants Dolphin to do trivial operations, it'll run faster than the GC game that wants Dolphin to do frequent, CPU intensive tasks.
Thanks for the quick and detailed response. In regards to OCing, is the difference that big? Can it really improve your performance that much? I understand this is also relative to the game(s) in question. So, an upgrade or dual GPU setup may not be necessary, but OCing might be?

EDIT: So I got my hands on that latest dev build, but now it's telling me connection with the wiimote has been lost. I checked the wiki and it said to turn speaker data off, which it was, so I turned it on and it still happens. Any ideas? State saves don't seem to be working in this build either?
Note that the GPU has almost nothing to do with how fast you run a game, unless you're applying a lot of visual effects, like AA, AF, and high internal resolutions. CPU is the main thing to pay attention to in Dolphin. Also, keep speaker data off, and double-check other settings. I'm not actually too sure how Wiimote connection works, hopefully someone else can help you more on that end.
(10-12-2014, 09:01 AM)Nomzr Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the quick and detailed response. In regards to OCing, is the difference that big? Can it really improve your performance that much?

It can.
(10-12-2014, 08:36 AM)Nomzr Wrote: [ -> ]My current specs are as follows...

GeForce GTX 660 Ti (EVGA, Not OCd)
Intel i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Not OCd)
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
ASRock P67 Pro3 SE

Please tell me you overclocked by now. And if it's because of energy savings you don't want to overclock; You can have it setup to also automatically underclock to save power when possible.