Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why only 30 fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
also try changing your watchdog settings.
i think you should put it at 15 for melee and brawl.
I'm having the same problem with wind waker. I have framelimit off, but it won't go above 30fps ever. It's pretty much locked at 29-30 fps which I don't understand. Pretty much every gamecube/wii game i've tried regardless of resolution runs at 30fps using the latest revision.

edit: as far as I can tell this has something to do with the audio throttle function. Without it enabled I get 45 or so fps but the game seems to be running too fast.
(09-04-2009, 01:13 PM)modis Wrote: [ -> ]I'm having the same problem with wind waker. I have framelimit off, but it won't go above 30fps ever. It's pretty much locked at 29-30 fps which I don't understand. Pretty much every gamecube/wii game i've tried regardless of resolution runs at 30fps using the latest revision.

edit: as far as I can tell this has something to do with the audio throttle function. Without it enabled I get 45 or so fps but the game seems to be running too fast.

Zelda's are supposed to run at 30fps. That's perfect emulation speed. look at the VPS number, that will tell you if you're running at full speed or not. when it says 60/60, that's 100% of the games normal speed.

Some games do 30fps, others do 60fps. (25 and 50 for most PAL games)
Human eye cant keep up with speeds more then 30 fps,so it doesnt really metter if the fame is running at 30 fps or 60 fps or 300 fps or whatever
Problem is only in your head.
Do you think there is problem with dvd movies ? They run at 29 fps...
(09-05-2009, 04:50 AM)Unknownforce Wrote: [ -> ]Zelda's are supposed to run at 30fps. That's perfect emulation speed. look at the VPS number, that will tell you if you're running at full speed or not. when it says 60/60, that's 100% of the games normal speed.

Some games do 30fps, others do 60fps. (25 and 50 for most PAL games)

Thank you, very helpful.
(09-05-2009, 10:39 AM)rpglord Wrote: [ -> ]Human eye cant keep up with speeds more then 30 fps,so it doesnt really metter if the fame is running at 30 fps or 60 fps or 300 fps or whatever
Problem is only in your head.
Do you think there is problem with dvd movies ? They run at 29 fps...

wrong... thats a common misconception. have a look at this... http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
It's very hard to accurately measure how much fps can human eye see,what I meant was that basically it doesnt matter,because human eye is "fooled" at 30 fps - it's just enough to keep the game,or movie from looking slow or jerky. Basically,30 fps looks smooth,and fluid. There is no reason for more fps,as you will have a very hard time to actually see a diffrence between 30 and 60 fps,not too mention higher numbers.
I have a lot of friends who always say the game is smoother at 60 fps or 100 or 200 fps or whatever. But somehow its only smoother when fraps or other tool which displays fps is running. Once that is turned off,magically the differences between 30 fps and 60 fps just disapear Smile
I bet most people can't see the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps...have them play a game without fps counter and ask them is it running at 30 or 60 and they will have no idea.
30 fps is full speed in gc and wii. I think it was full speed for N64 too.

I have a laptop with Dual Core 2.00GHz and i run melee at 50 fps (my framelimit)

Btw, did you know that running games at 60 fps gives you more chance to get dead pixels in your screen?
Pages: 1 2