Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: GPU upgrade performance increase?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
More than a year ago I bought an Nvidia GTX 550 Ti, but I want to change this for a better GPU. Given my budget, a GTX 580 would fit nicely into it, how much performance increase will this GPU give me (IR, AA, etc)? Or if not which one would you recommend me? (keep in mind my budget is around 200-250 dollars)
You can get a 760 around the 200 dollar range
Keep in mind please that in my country these things are more expensive, here a gtx 760 is in the equivalent of around 300 dollars if not more
And you can get a 580 for how much?
200 dollars exactly
What country if I may ask?

You might want to look into getting a used card. And getting a 500 series card at this point doesn't seem very smart when the 600 and 700 series are out.
It's better to buy a new gpu than a similarly prized old one usually, since they have more features and consume less power for similar performance, i would wait a bit for cheaper 9xxx series cards and grab that. You will also have shadowplay, less power consumption than a 580, streaming in case you are interested to mobile devices etc.
I managed to find a used 760 like brand new with few months of usage, everything in its original package for just under 250 dollars. Oh also the country is Colombia
The 760 performs about 25% better on average yet uses 50-75w less power on average. Its a good choice. It's around 3 times as fast as your current card.

@Link_to_the_past

Not necessarily. Depends how much of a discount you get from it being used. I can get a used GTX 660 on ebay for $80-120. Nothing new in that price range can come close to its performance yet todays cards are only slightly better in energy efficiency and feature set.

linker357 Wrote:Oh also the country is Colombia

Oh jesus. Well that would explain the price gouging.