Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Pc lags, powerfull enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've tried messing around with many of the graphic and config settings, and I still can't get Wind Waker to play right.

I typically get around 18-23 fps, and choppy audio.

So my setup is

AMD FX 6120 @3.6ghz
8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Sapphire Radeon Hd 7950 3 Gb (overclocked to 1150mhz and 1400 memory clock)

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

Or is it just Wind Waker?
(10-10-2014, 11:00 AM)brex Wrote: [ -> ]I've tried messing around with many of the graphic and config settings, and I still can't get Wind Waker to play right.

I typically get around 18-23 fps, and choppy audio.

So my setup is

AMD FX 6120 @3.6ghz
8GB DDR3 1600mhz
Sapphire Radeon Hd 7950 3 Gb (overclocked to 1150mhz and 1400 memory clock)

Any and all help would be appreciated, thanks.

Or is it just Wind Waker?

Your GPU and RAM are fine, CPU is the problem here. AMDs CPU are no good for Dolphin as their per-core performance is outstripped greatly by Intel's CPUs, which is important in a dual-core only application.
Wind Waker is one of the lightest games to emulate, make sure you have your Windows power options set to max performance and a profile for Dolphin in AMD catalyst control center to use max performance on the GPU.

On a side note, it could be a one-off thing. Check another game to see if it still happens. If yes, then you have a CPU bottleneck.

Continuing from NZtechfreak, AMD CPUs have low single-core speeds, if none of the above work, you're going to want to overclock your CPU or get a ne motherboard and Haswell CPU
The odd thing is, I get pretty much the same fps when everything is turned down low/off, as when it's turned up high

I had problems getting pcsx2 to run decent as well, but pc games don't seem to have any problems at all.

In the mean time, I'll try a couple other games, otherwise I'll have to wait until I have some cash to go intel.

Thanks guys
(10-10-2014, 12:10 PM)brex Wrote: [ -> ]The odd thing is, I get pretty much the same fps when everything is turned down low/off, as when it's turned up high

That's not odd really, that just goes to demonstrate that your GPU isn't the bottleneck.
Use the latest dev release. 4.0.2 is very very slow compared to the latest dev release.
Dolphin and PC games are totally different. PC games rely on how strong your GPU is, and as long as the CPU isn't ancient it'll run fine.
Dolphin needs 2 really fast CPU cores.
Just use the latest development version and hle audio, it should run fine.
(10-10-2014, 01:15 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin and PC games are totally different. PC games rely on how strong your GPU is, and as long as the CPU isn't ancient it'll run fine.
Dolphin needs 2 really fast CPU cores.

Skyrim is a pretty big exception to that.
Unless you spawn a shitton of NPCs at once (hundreds or thousands) or use some particularly demanding mods the cpu requirements of skyrim really aren't that high. It's still GPU bottlenecked for the majority of people.
Pages: 1 2