Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Run Dolphin on Specific Cores?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought there was a way to run dolphin on specific cores on the CPU, was I mistaken? I'm trying to stream a game using Dolphin and OBS because my capture card has really bad quality on the physical game, but OBS and Dolphin are both trying to run on the same cores, leading to a major slowdown. I shouldn't have this problem as I have a quad core with hyper threading, and in fact my CPU total use isn't maxing out among all cores when the lag occurs, so I know I have enough overhead for the games to run smoothly but the programs are both just being stupid and using the same two cores instead of using different ones.

The game is LoZ TP for GC, which is one of the most demanding games I own. The game runs fine on its own (Hyrule Field is a bit laggy though as expected for this game), but not when OBS is running. If I run something less demanding I can play/stream without a hitch, it's only this game so far that has problems. For the record I have an i7-h710HQ, 12GB RAM, Radeon 850M (not being taxed much at all), and windows 8.1. It's very frustrating looking at the task manager and watching two cores max out while running two multi-threaded applications, and leaving the other 2 to sit idle.
Well those two cores are getting punished by Dolphin. Not sure why why they aren't pushing OBS to the other cores.

Go to the intel driver update utility (google search) and see if there are any driver updates for the CPU on core handling.
(10-09-2014, 07:03 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Well those two cores are getting punished by Dolphin. Not sure why why they aren't pushing OBS to the other cores.

Go to the intel driver update utility (google search) and see if there are any driver updates for the CPU on core handling.

Graphics update but no chipset ones, those are up to date. I don't get it either, it should be a no-brainer for 4th gen core CPUs. So no way to force it then I take it?
This should explain how to set the core affinity: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows...ance-edge/

I think the even cores, 0, 2, 4, 6 are the real cores, and the odd cores, 1, 3, 5, 7, are the HT cores
(10-09-2014, 02:16 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]This should explain how to set the core affinity: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows...ance-edge/

I think the even cores, 0, 2, 4, 6 are the real cores, and the odd cores, 1, 3, 5, 7, are the HT cores

Ah, I never knew it could be done from the task manager, thanks a lot! Typically I never have to worry about that sort of thing so I guess I never noticed that option. This should be a huge help Smile

I'm not completely positive about the core number, what you said was what I thought as well, but I will see if I can find a dual-threaded benchmark to test it with and find out for sure.
Good luck