Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will my computer run Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Majura0

Hi,

I'm a new user and (self-admittedly) my technological knowledge isn't that great so if anyone is kind enough to help me out, could you reply in language that someone who doesn't know a whole amount about technology will understand. I'm mainly looking to play gamecube games (maybe 2-3) and maybe 1-2 wii games but the wii games are less important.

Here's my PC information;

Operating System Windows 8.1
Processor AMD A8-4555M APU (1.6 GHz, 4 MB cache)
Storage 1 TB HDD, 5400 rpm
SPECIFICATION
RAM 8 GB DDR3L
Graphics card AMD Radeon HD 7600G

Thanks!

Majura0
You might be able to run some of the less resource intensive games with that CPU, but I think the large majority of both GC and Wii games won't run sadly. :/

Also, given that its a laptop, you might struggle with keeping it cool, especially given that the CPU is going to be working overtime to run anything.

Majura0

So what games would you suggest or on the whole would you suggest that it's probably not worth it and to wait for a time when I could get a gaming PC? No idea when that would be though.
Crazy taxi, Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, Wario ware, maybe Super smash bros melee.

AMD CPUs have weak single-core performance, which Dolphin heavily relies on since it's only dual-core. Your CPU is weaker than an first gen mobile i3 (2 years older).

You can make a killer desktop with an overclocked Pentium G3258 and a GTX 750/750 Ti for between $350-450. The G3258 performs the same as the i5-4690K and i7-4790K overclocked to 4.5-4.7 when its also overclocked to that speed. It also does well in PC games.