Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Surface Pro 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys, I recently bought the Pro 2 and have been running my dolphin with no problems whatsoever. However as of today I have started encountering lag in every game to the point where they are unplayable! I cannot for the life of me figure out what has gone wrong; I have tried system restore and re-installing the program but nothing seems to work. It's pretty gutting as portable GC gaming has been a treat for me.

Can anyone come up with a solution? I am happy to provide more information if needed.

Pro 2:
Intel i5-4300U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.50GHz
4GB RAM
64bit OS x64 processor
Windows 8.1 Pro
Dolphin version 4.0.2
(09-29-2014, 09:10 AM)trexosaurus Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I recently bought the Pro 2 and have been running my dolphin with no problems whatsoever. However as of today I have started encountering lag in every game to the point where they are unplayable! I cannot for the life of me figure out what has gone wrong; I have tried system restore and re-installing the program but nothing seems to work. It's pretty gutting as portable GC gaming has been a treat for me.

Can anyone come up with a solution? I am happy to provide more information if needed.

Pro 2:
4GB RAM
64bit OS x64 processor
Windows 8.1 Pro
Dolphin version 4.0.2
Have you checked to see if it's heat?
(09-29-2014, 09:18 AM)DatKid20 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-29-2014, 09:10 AM)trexosaurus Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys, I recently bought the Pro 2 and have been running my dolphin with no problems whatsoever. However as of today I have started encountering lag in every game to the point where they are unplayable! I cannot for the life of me figure out what has gone wrong; I have tried system restore and re-installing the program but nothing seems to work. It's pretty gutting as portable GC gaming has been a treat for me.

Pro 2:
4GB RAM
64bit OS x64 processor
Windows 8.1 Pro
Dolphin version 4.0.2
Have you checked to see if it's heat?

As in heat from the device? It's barely breaking a sweat (the fan doesn't come on) and I can play seriously demanding games immediately after with no issue... :/
I'm pretty sure the passive cooling in Surface Pro can't handle Dolphin . It will overheat for sure and CPU will be underclocked horribly
Use Realtemp to check the temp when running Dolphin (at least 5 minutes )
Btw , don't expect decent performance from ultra low voltage CPU . Most of ultra low voltage CPU have very low clock speed and not suit for Dolphin
Try using the latest Dolphin dev build
(09-29-2014, 09:36 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure the passive cooling in Surface Pro can't handle Dolphin . It will overheat for sure and CPU will be underclocked horribly
Use Realtemp to check the temp when running Dolphin (at least 5 minutes )
Btw , don't expect decent performance from ultra low voltage CPU . Most of ultra low voltage CPU have very low clock speed and not suit for Dolphin

This doesn't really address my current issue though... Despite what you are saying, I have been playing games on it fine for extended periods of time at a pretty decent resolution, however it has just suddenly started demonstrating these issues. It will be seconds into the games running (i.e. no chance for the device to overheat etc.) that it starts lagging enormously. I am suspicious that some update or settings change has caused this, and thought that someone here would be able to find a solution.

On the other hand, I think the surface is being seriously underestimated here; I use it for gaming a lot with no issue and it only gets warm after extended sessions.
Did your power settings change? Make sure you're in high performance mode.
Look into a program called ThrottleStop to keep your CPU in sustained turbo mode. There's more info on the unofficial laptop performance guide around here somewhere.
(09-29-2014, 09:49 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Did your power settings change? Make sure you're in high performance mode.
Look into a program called ThrottleStop to keep your CPU in sustained turbo mode. There's more info on the unofficial laptop performance guide around here somewhere.

Yes! I changed that myself the other day, completely forgot/ didn't realise it would have an impact. You have solved my problem, thanks a bunch! Big Grin
Happy gaming