Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Version for SteamOS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Nerdy3.14159265

Hey guys, I'm rather new to the Dolphin community and I was wondering what the support for SteamOS was like.

Is there a specific repo I could use to stay up to date or should I just manually install the packages from this site?
Also what would be the best version to use? I see that 4.0 is the latest stable version with a Linux release, would it be better to use a developmental build?

These are my specs if you guys need this info:

Operating System: SteamOS x64
Processor/CPU: Intel i5-4570
Video Card/GPU: GTX 780
Memory/RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3 (PC3 12800)
Since SteamOS is based On Debian and not Ubuntu, so I think you will have to compile for yourself. Debian and Ubuntu are similar, but different in some ways (aka dependencies) that you won't be able to use the provided releases.

The dev builds are about 30% or more faster than the 4.0.x "stable" releases. So either follow the Dolphin build instructions under the FAQ, or look for someone that has their own repo for SteamOS Dolphin that has the latest dev builds.

Nerdy3.14159265

(09-26-2014, 03:04 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Since SteamOS is based On Debian and not Ubuntu, so I think you will have to compile for yourself. Debian and Ubuntu are similar, but different in some ways (aka dependencies) that you won't be able to use the provided releases.

The dev builds are about 30% or more faster than the 4.0.x "stable" releases. So either follow the Dolphin build instructions under the FAQ, or look for someone that has their own repo for SteamOS Dolphin that has the latest dev builds.

I'm guessing by the look for someone with a repo, that you wouldn't know one offhand.

I'll look into the build instructions but first I might try using one of the pre-built packages. Since Ubuntu is built off Debian, it might have a small chance of working.
It comes as a .deb, so IIRC all debian distros should be able to install it. You might have to manually install some extra packages, though. I don't know how much work this actually entails.