Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why is playing in a window faster than fullscreen?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I noticed as I was playing new super mario bro wii, playing in a window, even maximized, is faster than running it fullscreen (for OGL at least). Shouldn't fullscreen mode be faster than windowed mode? In every emulator or PC game I've played, fullscreen is almost always faster than windowed, or at least the same speed. Can someone please look into this?
(09-23-2014, 05:48 AM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]I noticed as I was playing new super mario bro wii, playing in a window, even maximized, is faster than running it fullscreen (for OGL at least). Shouldn't fullscreen mode be faster than windowed mode? In every emulator or PC game I've played, fullscreen is almost always faster than windowed, or at least the same speed. Can someone please look into this?

If you have auto internal resolution it is perfectly normal since even a maximized window is smaller than fullscreen.
I have it set to 2x native. Anything higher and I will get slowdown during Fina's flashback scenes in skies of arcadia.
(09-23-2014, 12:34 PM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]I have it set to 2x native. Anything higher and I will get slowdown during Fina's flashback scenes in skies of arcadia.

If i remember correctly those scenes make extensive use of Efb to RAM, still i find it hard to believe that your cpu and gpu can't cope with it in more than 2x. Have you set high performance mode in your gpu drivers and disabled sli with dolphin just in case it messes up things?
Yes I have and it was also the same with the GTX 680 before I upgraded. So upgrading to GTX 780 didn't improve dolphin performance at all. But let's get back on topic here.
(09-23-2014, 10:33 PM)drhycodan Wrote: [ -> ]Yes I have and it was also the same with the GTX 680 before I upgraded. So upgrading to GTX 780 didn't improve dolphin performance at all. But let's get back on topic here.
Can you post a save file just before those flashbacks to investigate? All those info is definitely weird, as if my 560 ti is better and a 780 is worthless or something. As for why a small difference is still normal even if you use the same ir as you display more pixels on screen.
Just start a new game in Skies of arcadia. Her first flashback scene is right after you defeat the first boss, which is only about 10 minutes into game.

To get back on topic, does that mean that every other emulator or pc game implements fullscreen differently than Dolphin does in OGL? If so, then there's got to be a better way to implement fullscreen in OGL as other OGL apps I've tried still runs faster with fullscreen, or at least the same speed.
OGL is implemented the same in Dolphin as anything. I never have any difficulty with the flashback scenes being slow on my computer.
A number of people seem to have issues with Fiona's flashbacks, as far back as years ago. I never had any problem with it, but others even with similar specs to mine had issues. May be driver related, if I had to take a random shot in the dark.
So you guys are able to play Fina's flashbacks at full speed with 4x IR and EFB to RAM and LLE?
Pages: 1 2