Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Stupid question: How do I save game states!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I am sorry for this stupid question but... how the hell do I save game states!?!?
I am using Dolphin for Wii emulation and emulating works fine.
However, I just can not grasp the concept of saving games.
One problem might be that when I try to save in certain games, Dolphin crashes.
But even when it doesn't crash, I am not sure how the logic behind the saving system works.

I assume that you need to create a save file for every game and then save to one of the slots within that save file. Whenever you come back to that game, you have to load the save file first and then select the slot.
That is what it ASSUME! However, apparently it does not work like that since results... vary.

So, can someone explain to me the general logic here?
Also, some games ask me to create a save slot (in-game) but never give me an option to do just that. Is it even possible to use the in-game saving system (not that I ever saw one).
For example: In Zelda - Skyward Sword, could someone tell me how the in-game saving works (I have only played a couple of minutes without finding a save point, if there is such a thing) and if it works at all?

Thx in advance. Smile
Most Wii games create auto-saves (they save your progress on certain periods of time). And if you stop using 4.0.2 and use latest dev instead, you´ll have a lot better results.
Ok, well... Donkey Kong Returns actually did create auto saves. Skyward Sword has not so far.
Besides that: I really would like to know how the game state saving feature of dolphin works (I hate watching intros!).
Really, I don´t recommend using save states; they can wreck the memory card files or Wii saves sometimes. But whatever... Tongue

Well, you go to Emulation menu (at the top of the window) and then to Load State (or Save State). You choose a slot and start saving on it.