Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: HD or GPU responsible for slowdown?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I tried a very recent version of dolphin in this case dolphin-master-4.0-3239-x64 and put in on my desktop pc which has the following specs

CPU; intel core 3570 non k version (turbos up to 3.8ghz)
HD: 1TB WD WD10EZRX Green, 3.5" HDD, SATA III – 6Gb
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 4GB
RAM: 4GB

And WWE 13 runs practically full speed with very few dips in performance, I try the same thing on my laptop specs are in my sig except for the following;

1TB WD WD10JPVX Blue 2.5", 9.5mm, SATA III-6Gb/s, 8MB, 5400rpm

And WWE 13 runs full speed but with more FPS drops and slowdowns

The Laptops graphic card has been set to full performance and high performance in the control panel and i chose the 760m GPU for dolphin and to reduce overheating I down-clocked the 4900mq to 3.2ghz for all cores which still benchmarks faster than the 3570 when I tested them both via the dolphin benchmark. The GTX 760M gpu AFAIK is better then that hd 6670 used in the desktop. Any idea what could be making the laptop slower for this game?

For reference here is my settings I used for throttlestop which i used to down-clock the CPU:

[Image: 33kgcis.png]
I found that by making dolphin portable by using the portable.txt and moving dolphin, its settings and the iso to the laptops SSD drive removed the majority of the slowdowns. The HD drive I was using must have been very slow to affect dolphin in that way, the desktop HD must have been significantly faster than the laptops regular HD. Anyway, solved.

EDIT: Problem returns after restarting the PC
Update log : This may not work for every case but for my issue it did, I moved my stuff back to the HDD, downloaded and opened quiet hdd and the problem appears to be solved for now referred to from this topic:

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

similar issue to what I was on about here

http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/643...eze-2.html

So the way the laptop HDD works seems to interfere with dolphin
Are you sure it isn't related to the shader cache? Once the shaders are compiled and cached the problem might have gone away on its own.
Yeah I thought it was that at first but my desktop with both the weaker gpu and cpu ran the game practically full speed for the first time with little to no dips in fps. Did the same thing with my laptop and I had all sorts of fps dips and pauses regardless of how long I had the developer build for to help with the shader cache. This issue had been happening for sometime. The only possibility could be the way the HDD works on the laptop since both the GPU and CPU on the desktop are both actually slower than the laptops.
what ssd do you have?
Its a Seagate 750GB SATA 3 Momentus XT Hybrid SSD Hard Drive 750GB when i used that, there were not much fps dips to start of with if there were any it was to do with the shader cache but that was fixed when i did a few replays with dolphin, basically the gameplay was smooth however after i restarted the laptop the performance was worse than when dolphin was on the standard HDD there started to be much more fps dips and to top it off they had longer pauses. So as mentioned earlier i decided to use that program and i have all my dolphin stuff moved to the HDD which is bigger than the SSD anyway and now the game play is smooth. I was actually safe to down-clock my laptop to 2.9GHZ and still WWE 13 runs well, basically like how my i5 3570 desktop runs it.