Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: is openMP texture decoder safe?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it safe to use? I'm look for some speed-ups. When playing on some stage on super smash bros. brawl some stages lag.
It should be safe, but it's no longer recommended by anyone, as we're not sure it's actually any faster.
The amount to gain of speed is little to none i suppose.
It actually does give a small speedup in some games. I was able to get a few extra FPS out of it in games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Okami. It can also sometimes help with stuttering.

There's really no harm in trying it, just pause the game, open the graphics settings and turn it on and off and see if it helps at all. I always leave it on and I've never had any problems with it.
(09-19-2014, 03:10 PM)Radiant Malevolence Wrote: [ -> ]It actually does give a small speedup in some games. I was able to get a few extra FPS out of it in games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Okami. It can also sometimes help with stuttering.

There's really no harm in trying it, just pause the game, open the graphics settings and turn it on and off and see if it helps at all. I always leave it on and I've never had any problems with it.

i tested it out on Brawl, i saw a few minor speed ups. There were virtually no stutters on some stages.
(09-19-2014, 03:19 PM)lookerup Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2014, 03:10 PM)Radiant Malevolence Wrote: [ -> ]It actually does give a small speedup in some games. I was able to get a few extra FPS out of it in games like Metroid Prime Trilogy, and Okami. It can also sometimes help with stuttering.

i tested it out on Brawl, i saw a few minor speed ups. There were virtually no stutters on some stages.

Oh, and according to your profile, it says you're still using Dolphin 4.0-118, which is a pretty old version. You should download the latest Development version as they are much faster now. You might be able to get full speed with the newer versions.
From my personal experience, it varies. For most games it provides very small speedups (almost not noticeable), but it help avoiding stuttering (they're less frequent when using OpenMP here). However, depending of your System Specs, it may cause slowdowns too, apparently the OpenMP implementation from Dolphin doesn't play nice with some texture formats, neither with Hyper Threading, in that cases I generally get slowdowns, fixed by disabling OpenMP...
(09-19-2014, 04:16 PM)Radiant Malevolence Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2014, 03:19 PM)lookerup Wrote: [ -> ]

Oh, and according to your profile, it says you're still using Dolphin 4.0-118, which is a pretty old version. You should download the latest Development version as they are much faster now. You might be able to get full speed with the newer versions.

I never updated on my profile, I am using 4.0 - 3178.
So is it confirmed that no possible harm can come from using Open MP texture decoders? If so, I'll always enable it to get a potential fps boost and stutter deterrent.
As I said before, OpenMP can cause slowdowns in some scenarios...