Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Intel i7-4970 and 760TI
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How well would an intel i7-4790 and a GTX 760TI play on dolphin? Just wondering. I currently have an intel i7-4700MQ with a GTX 765m and I'm looking to get a desktop. Games like... Metroid Prime Trilogy, The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess possibly at 4x Native Resolution and AA?
Well, take this with a grain of salt as it's not perfect, but in the Dolphin Benchmarks the i7-4790k completes in 6:59 while the i7-4700MQ completes in 9:33, a good 37% increase in performance, plus if you OC it'd be even better. (Furthermore those benchmarks are out of date as my i7-920, which should score a 15:59 is getting 11:35 these days from optimizations).

Either way, I can play those games on an i7-920 and GTX 570 with ~40-50 FPS depending on what's happening the screen, so you should be fine. Certain scenes may be slowed down, but note that Dolphin is heavily CPU dependent, and only a little GPU dependent.
There is no such CPU called the i7-4970. I'm assuming you mean the i7-4790. Yes, it will run Dolphin way better than your laptop.
However, that is a locked multiplier CPU, so you would need to get the i7-4790K to overclock
DAMN I meant i7-4790! Sorry.
Lol, its fine

But yeah, you should be fine for most games. The only ones you'll probably have an issue with is maybe the Metroid games or The Last Story, as they need an overclock to run properly, but Dolphin has been getting faster so I'm not sure if they still do or not.

Is there anything you have against overclockable CPUs? Cause if you're getting an i7-4790, you might as well go up and spend a bit more to get the K version.
i7 4790k turbo boost is up to 4.4GHz while i7 4790 turbo boost is only 4.0GHz . The k version stock speed is fast enough to run most games full speed , you may not need to overclock in this case .
I recommend i7 4790k + Asrock Z97M Anniversary ($90 , $80 after rebate) or Asrock Z97 Extreme 4 if you need a mobo that has the best onboard audio
And btw , Nvidia GTX 900 series is about to be released soon , you should not buy GTX 760 Ti atm
Given that you've misspelled it about ten times now, I'm going to stop passing it off as a typo. When you say debate, you mean rebate. You're just going to confuse people if you don't stop.
Why did I fail so many times lol . Thanks for the fix !
(09-19-2014, 04:14 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Lol, its fine

But yeah, you should be fine for most games. The only ones you'll probably have an issue with is maybe the Metroid games or The Last Story, as they need an overclock to run properly, but Dolphin has been getting faster so I'm not sure if they still do or not.

Is there anything you have against overclockable CPUs? Cause if you're getting an i7-4790, you might as well go up and spend a bit more to get the K version.

Yeah I guess. My Laptop runs Metroid Prime 1+2 flawlessly! On the Metroid Prime 1 intro where Samus is flying her ship, I managed to get a minimum of 55FPS, maximum 200, Average 111.913. But Metroid Prime three does struggle, but is playable at 40FPS or lower. The Wii versions of games are much harder to play than the game cube versions. My Laptop holds an i7-4700MQ with a Nvidia GTX 765M.

Anyone recommend a good Gaming Desktop to buy out there? My original aim was for an Alienware x51.
Build your own desktop . Prebuilt / OEM desktop is overpriced
OEM PC usually costs $200 higher than building your own PC , you still get poor components despite paying a premium price