Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Weird performance bug that i can replicate.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
hey guys, well ive been using Dolphin for a while now and its been going absolutely fine. I have a beefy computer so i ran on 4x native res with 16xaf and 8xAA. Windwaker, Metroid, Mario Sunshine ect all ran perfectly fine. I started running my copy of Twilight princess however and this is where things got weird. I looked on the Wiki and changed the settings to match what it said but it seems to have screwed my Dolphin up :/ Now, whenever i try run any game it runs at 15-20fps, stuttering like mad UNTIL i esc out of fullscreen and click on the graphics settings panel. As soon as i do that, BOOM full speed, no stutters. I don't change anything in the panel, i just open it. This lasts until i enter a new area then i have to click on the graphics tab again to speed it up. This bug has happened once before but then it...went away by itself. It doesnt seem to be doing that anymore and i know its fixable :/ What is happening?

EDIT: Okay, disabling AA entirely (It was on 8x) seems to fix it but...before i tried playing Twilight Princess i could run all games with 8xAA no issue, now suddenly i have to disable it? its not a big deal, don't get me wrong im just curious. As i said, don't get me wrong, Im glad that i managed to figure out how to fix the bug but im still no closer to figuring out WHAT the bug is. That's why i'll still leave the thread ehre i guess for someone to help me figure out what it is becuase i dont think ive truely "fixed" it.
Try disabling windowed full screen.
(09-12-2014, 01:44 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling windowed full screen.
That didnt make any difference sadly. Windowed, fullscreen, windowed-fullscreen it kept stuttering
(09-12-2014, 01:49 AM)Rasral Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2014, 01:44 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]Try disabling windowed full screen.
That didnt make any difference sadly. Windowed, fullscreen, windowed-fullscreen it kept stuttering

Are you on the latest dev build?
Rasreal Wrote:I started running my copy of Twilight princess however and this is where things got weird. I looked on the Wiki and changed the settings to match what it said but it seems to have screwed my Dolphin up :/

Twilight Princess is a bizzare beast, and shouldn't be used for any kind of performance or benchmarking comparisons (unless with itself in earlier versions). First we need to figure out which copy of TP you have. What is the GameID of your Twilight Princess disc? (Right click the game in the game list > Properties > GameID)
(09-12-2014, 02:56 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]
Rasreal Wrote:I started running my copy of Twilight princess however and this is where things got weird. I looked on the Wiki and changed the settings to match what it said but it seems to have screwed my Dolphin up :/

Twilight Princess is a bizzare beast, and shouldn't be used for any kind of performance or benchmarking comparisons (unless with itself in earlier versions). First we need to figure out which copy of TP you have. What is the GameID of your Twilight Princess disc? (Right click the game in the game list > Properties > GameID)
The game ID is "GZ2E01". However my bug was that it was happening on all my games now, not just TP. if it was just TP i could understand but its now on every single game. First time after a loadingscreen/booting it up, it runs at 15-20fps. Entering graphics menu then exiting with no changes made bumps the fps back up to full speed until i find another loading screen. As i said, disabling AA seems to have fixed it but its odd that this bug even started. I was running 8xAA before with no issues.

This started on a slightly earlier dev build but i updated to 4.0-3164 and not seen any changes to the bug
(09-12-2014, 03:16 AM)Rasral Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2014, 02:56 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]

The game ID is "GZ2E01". However my bug was that it was happening on all my games now, not just TP. if it was just TP i could understand but its now on every single game. First time after a loadingscreen/booting it up, it runs at 15-20fps. Entering graphics menu then exiting with no changes made bumps the fps back up to full speed until i find another loading screen. As i said, disabling AA seems to have fixed it but its odd that this bug even started. I was running 8xAA before with no issues.

This started on a slightly earlier dev build but i updated to 4.0-3164 and not seen any changes to the bug

2 Things

1. delete your shader cache

2. If that doesnt work post screens of all your settings
(09-12-2014, 04:38 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]2 Things

How do i delete my shader cache? I've done quite a bit of tweaking with Dolphin but ive never seen a shader cache option. Maybe i missed it. BTW the bug returned about 30 mins ago even with AA off. I restarted Dolphin entirely and the bug was fixed again. It seems to come and go as it pleases, although AA seems to make it worse.
That definitely sounds like either some kind of memory is filling up, or the GPU is getting too hot.
(09-12-2014, 04:49 AM)Rasral Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-12-2014, 04:38 AM)bomblord Wrote: [ -> ]2 Things

How do i delete my shader cache? I've done quite a bit of tweaking with Dolphin but ive never seen a shader cache option. Maybe i missed it. BTW the bug returned about 30 mins ago even with AA off. I restarted Dolphin entirely and the bug was fixed again. It seems to come and go as it pleases, although AA seems to make it worse.

My documents> dolphin

Find the folder and delete the contents
Pages: 1 2