Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Crash when using direct3D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Painless32

I am unable to use the Direct3D Backend when using the emulator. It just crashes when I use it, I am then forced to use OpenGL which Is slower. I would appreciate the performance of D3D if anyone can help me. I have been experiencing this problem for a long time, since the 4.0-2000 builds I think, that was when I gained hardware that could actually run Dolphin Decently. I am running the latest drivers and everything for my Video Card.
According to Wikipedia's article on the GeForce 9 series, your GPU is too old to use D3D in Dolphin. The 9800 GTX supports only D3D 10, but Dolphin requires D3D 11 to use the D3D backend.

Painless32

(09-09-2014, 11:28 AM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]According to Wikipedia's article on the GeForce 9 series, your GPU is too old to use D3D in Dolphin. The 9800 GTX supports only D3D 10, but Dolphin requires D3D 11 to use the D3D backend.

This is untrue. My friend using the Quadro FX-3800 which is also uses DirectX10 is able to use direct 3D. I believe it was released around the same time as my card.
The DirectX 11 backend is meant to support DirectX 10 cards (at the loss of a few minor features)

Painless32

(09-09-2014, 12:18 PM)phire Wrote: [ -> ]The DirectX 11 backend is meant to support DirectX 10 cards (at the loss of a few minor features)

well that kinda sucks, I guess I will be using openGL for a while since I don't have a job or anything right now.
(09-09-2014, 12:24 PM)Painless32 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-09-2014, 12:18 PM)phire Wrote: [ -> ]The DirectX 11 backend is meant to support DirectX 10 cards (at the loss of a few minor features)

well that kinda sucks, I guess I will be using openGL for a while since I don't have a job or anything right now.

Those same minor features are missing on OpenGL too, you won't notice anything missing. Not sure why DirectX is broken.
The d3d backend currently only really supports 10.1 and up I think. And there might be a bit of a grey area (as normal with gfx stuff) around what the driver reports it's capable of and what it's actually capable of. Technically the backend should be able to handle missing features and failures a lot better than it does, but I need to find time to finish improving that...
This is a wild guess but OP try disabling antialiasing if you have it enabled with d3d. According to wiki if the above is correct:

"Direct3D 10.1 sets a few more image quality standards for graphics vendors, and gives developers more control over image quality.[12][13] Features include finer control over anti-aliasing (both multisampling and supersampling with per sample shading and application control over sample position) and more flexibilities to some of the existing features (cubemap arrays and independent blending modes). Direct3D 10.1 level hardware must support the following features:

Mandatory 32-bit floating point filtering.
Mandatory support for 4x anti-aliasing
Shader model 4.1
"