Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Internal Resolution & GPU Requirements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, after i did some testing with Dolphin after i upgraded my CPU (specs at sig & profile) i was quite surprised of the performance impact the Internal Resolution has. For example in Wii Sport Resort in the sword play showdown game that you have to fight many opponents at once if i raise it above 1.5x i experience major slowdowns, even in 1.5x is noticeable worse than 1x.

Similar things happening in various games, but usually i can get around with 2x, sometimes is better to use only 1.5x and in some rare cases 1x is the only option if i don't want to experience slowdowns.

As i said i was surprised because i think that my GPU is not that weak (although it's the 660 Non TI which isn't anything impressive anymore)

My question is what i can expect when i will upgrade to the gtx 960, i know it's not out yet but we can take a guess and say performance wise it will be between a gtx 770 & gtx 780.

Also does the internal resolution cares what kind of CPU you have (even slightly) or it's only GPU dependent?
(09-08-2014, 07:19 PM)Haruspex Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, after i did some testing with Dolphin after i upgraded my CPU (specs at sig & profile) i was quite surprised of the performance impact the Internal Resolution has. For example in Wii Sport Resort in the sword play showdown game that you have to fight many opponents at once if i raise it above 1.5x i experience major slowdowns, even in 1.5x is noticeable worse than 1x.

Similar things happening in various games, but usually i can get around with 2x, sometimes is better to use only 1.5x and in some rare cases 1x is the only option if i don't want to experience slowdowns.

As i said i was surprised because i think that my GPU is not that weak (although it's the 660 Non TI which isn't anything impressive anymore)

My question is what i can expect when i will upgrade to the gtx 960, i know it's not out yet but we can take a guess and say performance wise it will be between a gtx 770 & gtx 780.

Also does the internal resolution cares what kind of CPU you have (even slightly) or it's only GPU dependent?

Read the faq about new gpus with bad performance. They fall into low power mode when running dolphin so go to your nvidia panel and set performance to maximum instead of variable.
Yeah , GTX 660 should be enough for 4x Internal Resolution (2560x2112) , no AA , 16x AF
OMG thanks, after changing that option i got 60 fps stable on the wii sports resort game i mentioned using 2x internal resolution. It made a huge difference, before i was getting fps drops even with 1x.