Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: AMD APU not so bad after all...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all

I know that intel cpu's perform better then amd but I was baffled with my brothers pc performance that I wanted to share it!
I own myself 2 intel systems and they run dolpin perfectly fine!
But this AMD build can also fairly play at good frames!
The reason Imake this thread is because I see people wanting to build a pc with a limited budget but still want the most out of their system.

My brothers pc configuration:

*AMD A10-5800K HD7660D 3800 FM2 BOX €90
*ASRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, socket FM2+ €55
*Corsair 8 GB DDR3-1600 Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9, Vengeance LP, XMP, Lite Retail) €80
*MSI R9 270X Gaming 2G €170
*Power supply €40
*Case €40
*HDD+ssd around €100

Total price €575

It plays whatever game I throw at it full speed! with a few exceptions of games

Full fps 100%speed:

*Resident Evil 1 ( wii version)
*Resident Evil 0 (wii version)
* The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess ( NGC version)
* The Legend of Zelda Windwaker ( ngc version)

Low FPS 85%speed
Sonic Colors
Super Mario Galaxy 2

I must admit I never thought that the cheap APU would run so good
I might overlclock his pc to get full speed on Sonic Colors and Super Mario Galaxy 2
But never the less they are playable !

I will try to make a few videos as proof that AMD cpu's are not that bad after all for dolphin Smile
It's not that AMD is good, it's that DOlphin's got a lot faster recently, so it matters less. You'll still get better Dolphin performance on a Pentium G3258 than anything AMD offers at a similar price.
This has been my experience as well with an A8-6600K.
What you just posted may be true with high-end APUs, but it´s not the same story with the rest (mine, for example).
This is a prime example of why it's tricky to use the word "good" for situations like these. Every cpu performs differently. They're somewhere on a performance number line between 0 and infinity. So ultimately to refer to a cpu as "good", "bad", or "ok" you have a plot a point somewhere on that performance line and call everything above that speed "good" and everything below it "bad". So where do you plot that point? What speed defines "good"? You see where I'm going with this. AMD APUs are not good/bad cpus. But they are cpus that are much slower than similarly priced Intel cpus. And that in and of itself makes them "bad" in a way. Even if their speed cannot be defined as bad, particularly in less demanding games. At least this is what people here really mean when they say AMD cpus are "bad".
I agree with Natural Violence, as long as Intel cpu's selling for the same price are significantly better in dolphin i don't think there is a reason to suggest them. The fact that they can run some games full speed is not that important if you see the whole picture, for example your friend might have wanted dolphin to play SMG 2 or Last Story and be disappointed by the performance, while at the same time another person might want to play Crazy Taxi and Pikmin for Gamecube and feel just fine with it. How can we suggest everyone that they are fine if for example most people out there would want to play SMG 2 or Last Story?
Can you try mario sunshine
No he can't as this all happened back in Sept 2014. We have a rule against necroposting, so please read our forum rules.