Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best Specs for dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello there, i want to know which one of these cpu/gpu are the best for dolphin gameplay, specifically to run Twilight princess at Max settings @ 30 FPS (From what i've read, this is a 30fps game, right? ) and the last story (if not at max settings, 720p or 1080p shuould be fine for me https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/images/sm...iggrin.gif)

-CPU:
Intel core i7 4790K
Intel core i5 4690K
The new introduced Haswell-E processors (i7 5960X, i7 5930K and 5820K)

-GPU: (anything that is capable to run 1080p and further https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/images/sm...tongue.gif)
If the Haswell-E CPUs can go past 4.7 GHz, then be my guest and buy a CPU costing around $1000 Tongue

The Pentium G3258, i5-4690K, and i7-4790K all perform the same in Dolphin when overclocked to 4.7 GHz, so they'll all play practically the same, with minor speed boost on i5/i7 due to being able to handle other processes on other cores when Dolphin is running.
Hey i've just been searching a lot in the internet and found in cpu-z world records page that the intel core i5 4690K has been overclocked to 7.1 Ghz. My face: O_o!? that high?? is this even possible?! i asked to myself. (i also like to point out that i don't know much about overclock things, i have around 2-3 weeks of reading about it) Well, that is a pretty much power for dolphin right? what if we're actually able to use it?
That kind of overclock usually requires copious amounts of liquid nitrogen to maintain, and will also kill the CPU pretty quickly. As well as that, CPU performance is only directly correlated with frequency within a normal frequency range, so it may be barely any better for Dolphin than the same chip at a frequency attainable with much more user-friendly water cooling.
I'm running an i5-4690k @ 4.4ghz w/ a GTX 780 and can play Twilight Princess @ 4x IR w/ 16x AF and 8x AA using OpenGL, or 8 samples of AA using Direct3D. I can run a consistent 30 FPS (Yes, TP is a 30 FPS game). When I take the framelimiter and vsync off just to get a feel for how far I can push things, I run between 34-44 FPS. Probably averages ~37 FPS.

I've put in about 20 hrs into Twilight Princess using these settings, and am going into the final dungeon right now. Game looks absolutely beautiful. Much better than on my Wii @ native settings.
(09-04-2014, 09:55 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running an i5-4690k @ 4.4ghz w/ a GTX 780 and can play Twilight Princess @ 4x IR w/ 16x AF and 8x AA using OpenGL, or 8 samples of AA using Direct3D. I can run a consistent 30 FPS (Yes, TP is a 30 FPS game). When I take the framelimiter and vsync off just to get a feel for how far I can push things, I run between 34-44 FPS. Probably averages ~37 FPS.

I've put in about 20 hrs into Twilight Princess using these settings, and am going into the final dungeon right now. Game looks absolutely beautiful. Much better than on my Wii @ native settings.

Sorry, to sorta hijack this thread, but what build are you using if I may ask?
His profile says newest
(09-04-2014, 11:03 AM)combine1237 Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-04-2014, 09:55 AM)Suprvgeta Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running an i5-4690k @ 4.4ghz w/ a GTX 780 and can play Twilight Princess @ 4x IR w/ 16x AF and 8x AA using OpenGL, or 8 samples of AA using Direct3D. I can run a consistent 30 FPS (Yes, TP is a 30 FPS game). When I take the framelimiter and vsync off just to get a feel for how far I can push things, I run between 34-44 FPS. Probably averages ~37 FPS.

Sorry, to sorta hijack this thread, but what build are you using if I may ask?

Sure. It's a dev build that's 2 or 3 days old. I'm not at home right now, but off the top of my head it's 4.0.2883. I know for sure it's a 4.0.28xx build. Hope that helps. I beat the final dungeon and the game last night. Excellent game, and a far superior experience on Dolphin imo.
Oh, sweet! later in december i will be upgrading cpu,gpu and mobo (because i had this computer with me since 2008, and the processor, according to the info of intel, is from 2002 https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/images/smilies/sad.gif , i'm playing new super mario bros wii at very low fps setting frame-skip to 2.
If i get my 2000$, i´ll be buying an i7-4790K, a geforce gtx 780 ti and... i don't know... Is Asus Sabertooth Z97 good?

For the people who is curious of my current specs, these are:
-CPU: Intel Pentium dual cpu E2200 @ 2.2 Ghz
-GPU: Intel 82945G express chipset
-RAM: 3 GB
My brother's on a E2200, and it royally sucks. You'll notice a mind boggling improvement in basically everything.
Pages: 1 2