Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Which cpu should i buy ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Maeglin

Heres my system:
Core i3 540 3.07 ghz
4GB Ram
AMD 6850 2GB DUAL-X

I'm planning to buy a new cpu and mainboard.I'm thinking of:
İ3 4130
i5 3570k

Which cpu can perform better on demanding games ?
Ideally, for Dolphin, you want an i5 4690K, i7 4790K, or a Pentium G3258, and you want it on a Z97 motherboard. All three of these chips are overclockable (which helps demanding games run better) as long as they're in a Z97 motherboard. They also all use Intel's Haswell architecture, which is much faster in Dolphin than anything else. These three chips are about as good as each other as long as you're only using Dolphin, but the i5 and i7 will have an edge in quite a few PC games, and the i7 will be faster in highly threaded applications such as rendering and video transcoding.

Maeglin

I heard Haswell i3 can perform good on Dolphin because of its single thread performance.Im low in budget and i want to use it for pc gaming too.
So what do u think i3 4150 or g3258 ? maybe 4160 ?
If you want to do other gaming also, I would recommend the i3-4360, as the hyperthreading does help give you some extra frames.
But if you stress Dolphin more, get the Pentium

Maeglin

Thanks for reply guys !
Once the Pentium's overclocked, it more than cancels out the fact that there's no hyperthreading, at least according to any benchmark I've seen.
If you have a really good graphics card (GTX 770 and up) hyperthreading gives extra frames for PC games
According to Hexus, it performs identically to a 4770K (which you know is a quad with HT) when it's taken to 4.4GHz with a 750 Ti. Does it really make that much of a difference against another dual core when you bump up the GPU a bit?
According to this page, yes. Scroll to near the bottom: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overc...m-g3258-ae
The overclocked Pentium's getting the same performance as the i3 until two 770s are used. I doubt people that can afford two 770s are going to even consider pairing them with a £40 CPU.
Pages: 1 2