Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: upgrade cpu or gpu ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
i have an amd a8-6500, and 650 ti.

basically im asking if i should upgrade to an ffx-8350 or get a gtx-760.

those r the ones i picked, im just curious cpu or gpu ?
Well, faster CPU will help more than faster GPU for Dolphin. But AMD is AMD, blah blah blah, but you already picked what you wanted, so I won't waste my breath talking about which CPU is best. It's just CPU power that matters most. 650Ti vs 760 won't affect that much except at very high IRs.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...ring#gid=0 The A8-6500 is about the A8-6600K at stock on here. Look at where the FX-8350 lands. Literally no improvement at stock. You would need to heavily overclock to see any improvement.

AMD has horrible single core speeds compared to Intel. Dolphin needs 2 really fast CPU cores to run.
1. Get new Z97 board and i5-4690K
2. Install, keeping RAM, HDD, Power supply, DVD drive, case, GPU
3. Re-install Windows onto HDD after saving all pertinent data for best experience.
4. Overclock to about 4.2-4.4 Ghz
5. ?????
6. PROFIT HUGELY IN DOLPHIN AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!
okay i wont go amd. my budjet is really low though. i could probably go the best i3 overclocked. but that probably wouldn't be better then my cpu would it ?
If your budget is low, go for a Pentium G3258, a cooler (optional, stock cooler for the G3258 is reportedly good, even with mild OCing of the CPU), and a compatible motherboard. As it concerns Dolphin, it will run circles around anything AMD has to offer, and that's before you OC the G3258.
alright well i was goona buy the xeon 1230 v2, basically an i7. but if i buy a micro ATX board then im able to afford the awsome xeon cpu so i think ill just do that. and okay ill look into the pentium
Just remember that Dolphin is a dual-core application, so if you're building a rig specifically for Dolphin, keep in mind that more cores does not directly translate into more speed. The extra threads/cores will help with background processes though, and give you some breathing room performance-wise. Also note that Ivy Bridge-E CPUs aren't nearly as fast as Haswell CPUs when it comes to Dolphin. At the same clocks, Haswell is over 30% faster than Ivy Bridge-E. Again, that's just for Dolphin; other applications usually don't show that kind of boost, but our benchmarks have shown Dolphin really likes whatever Intel is doing in their latest hardware generations.
Quote:alright well i was goona buy the xeon 1230 v2, basically an i7
Not even Xeon 1230 V3 can beat OCed G3258 in Dolphin , let alone Xeon 1230 V2 . Why ? Dolphin is a dual core application
At stock speed , G3258 is faster than that Xeon V2 . The Pentium Anniversary Edition is unlocked multiplier CPU which is made for overclocking as long as you pair it with Z97 mobo (Asrock Z97 Anniversary is dust cheap )
If you overclock the Pentium , it will leave both Xeon V2 and V3 in the dust
Only 2 CPUs can beat G3258 in Dolphin : i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz or i7 4790k @ 4.7GHz+
(08-29-2014, 02:12 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...ring#gid=0 The A8-6500 is about the A8-6600K at stock on here. Look at where the FX-8350 lands. Literally no improvement at stock. You would need to heavily overclock to see any improvement.

AMD has horrible single core speeds compared to Intel. Dolphin needs 2 really fast CPU cores to run.
1. Get new Z97 board and i5-4690K
2. Install, keeping RAM, HDD, Power supply, DVD drive, case, GPU
3. Re-install Windows onto HDD after saving all pertinent data for best experience.
4. Overclock to about 4.2-4.4 Ghz
5. ?????
6. PROFIT HUGELY IN DOLPHIN AND EVERYTHING ELSE!!!!

question for you who do i contect to get my benchmarks added to the sheet sense the benchmark thread is closed sent droth a msg with a screenshot etc never got a reply..
@Raver: Yeah, I'm not sure either......

@coke: If you're building something to just play Dolphin, go with the Pentium. However, if you want to play PC games also, get the i5-4690K, not a Xeon, as you'll be able to play Dolphin more smoothly also.
Pages: 1 2