Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Playing a better REmake
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Resident Evil REmake is a fantastic game. Playing it in Dolphin however, there are some quirks. Things like the visuals appearing more washed out, the backgrounds not scaling well to high resolutions, low res text, and colors appearing off. As many know, Capcom is porting REmake to PC, current, and last gen consoles. But I was curious what could be done to provide a better experience in Dolphin.

To do that, I've updated Jill's texture, created high quality UI text, have been custom scaling the low resolution backgrounds, and made a SweetFx profile to try and compensate for the low contrast visuals in Dolphin.

First, I made a Jill retexture that is more accurate to the new version (the bluer tone). I used the textures from cutscene Jill to update the gameplay versions to have higher detail as well.

Then is the SweetFx profile which I've modeled after screen grabs of REmake on Gamecube.

Finally, I've created a photoshop script which scales the backgrounds in a customized way.

Here is
  1. the REmake image that I based the SweetFx profile off of
  2. vanilla REmake in Dolphin
  3. SweetFx/blue outfit texture

Quote:[Image: resident-evil-remake-gamecube-2002-zombi...dfield.jpg][Image: dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_223338_by_aloo81-d7wx8ro.jpg]
[Image: dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_223326_by_aloo81-d7wx8rw.jpg]

I tried to emulate the Gamecube visuals, but without the crushed blacks.

In game, Jill's outfit is supposed to appear much more blue it would seem based on images like this

Spoiler:
Here is
  • vanilla Jill, no SweetFx, regular background
  • bluer REmaster Jill, custom SweetFx, custom scaled background

Quote:[Image: dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_215258_1_by_al...7wx8s7.jpg]
[Image: dolphin_exe_dx11_20140827_215248_1_by_al...7wx8sa.jpg]

Here are just some in game screenshots

Order:
  1. Custom textures/SweetFx/in game fog filter disabled
  2. Vanilla/in game fog filter disabled
  3. Custom textures/SweetFx
  4. Vanilla
  5. REMaster

Spoiler:
  • Vanilla
  • Custom

Spoiler:
Here is an example of the updated UI text. Read more in the texture pack thread.
(GIF)
Spoiler:
Updated Jill Textures| Download. Install: Extract to "*Documents*\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GBIE08
Updated UI text| Download. Install: Extract to "*Documents*\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures\GBIE08
Custom REmake SweetFx settings| Download. Install: Extract to Dolphin executable's directory.

I'd love to hear others thoughts on this all.