Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: i3 4370 and GTX 550 for Dolphin and PSCX2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

xagesz

Ok after a frustrating day of dolphin and my Athlon II x4 cpu I have had it and decided to upgrade.

I am specifically looking at this processor as its current generation and the highest in class. Not to mention Microcenter close to my house sells if for $100.

I know that its in the Fast category on the unofficial page.

I plan to run:
i3 4370 3.8 no overclock
8gb ram
GTX 550

From what I can tell this will be suffiecent for my intentions and should run well.

Its just vague in alot of posts I have found about the i3 and I am more curious what I can expect.

Also I want to know if anyone is running a similar setup as well for PCSX2. I just want some opinions from someone with experience in both. Thanks.
As long as you aren't trying to play any of the super demanding games, eg: Last Story, then you should be fine in Dolphin and PCSX2

xagesz

I don't expect to be playing anything thats super demanding. Alot of the stuff I play is random.
It's likely that the anniversary Pentium (with a Z97 motherboard) will work out cheaper than the i3 with a lesser motherboard, and as that CPU allows overclocking, once you overclock it to around 4.4 GHz, it'll be miles better than the i3 in single or double threaded applications such as Dolphin, and marginally better in things that can make use of more cores.
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/g3258bundle.aspx
$100 for Pentium G3258 + MSI Z97 mobo