Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Disable logs for a nice speedup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
First of all, credit goes to IDGeek121. I found this trick looking for a fix for audio lag in 1080 Avalanche, and on the game compatibility support wiki, this user mentioned disabling all logs for a nice speedup. Sure enough, 1080 went from dropping to 40-45 FPS, to almost perfectly constant 60 FPS.

Interestingly enough, I also want to point out that I was having issues with even more common games having slight audio pop, lag, etc. When starting Mario Sunshine, I recall almost always a quick audio lag somewhere between loading the game and starting up a save file. I recently got into The Last Story and Xenoblade Chronicles as well, and while they didn't give me any severe audio issues, they had a similar audio pop/lag that barely occurred, but was noticeable. Disabling all logs fixed the issue.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?t..._Avalanche

My only guess is that one of the chat logs are being filled up really quickly. Perhaps this is an issue the developers could look into?

EDIT: attached image to show anyone curious how to disable logs, or the log in particular (I'd say turn them all off unless needed for diagnosing dolphin issues, but remember to turn them on if you have any other issues.)
What logs are enabled by default?
(08-25-2014, 03:00 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]What logs are enabled by default?
All of them. There are 47 different log types I believe. From the dolphin main window, go to view > show log configuration. In the logging window that appears, I unchecked all 3 options under "logger outputs" (only write to console and write to window are enabled by default though), and there is a button to "toggle all log types" which automatically checks or unchecks all the various logs. I also changed verbosity from notice to error, but that was just a personal choice, and I doubt that had any effect on anything.

Edit: It's the "File Monitor" log. I am no longer near my gaming pc so I played with it on my laptop. simply checking and unchecking "file monitor" in the log types slows to a crawl when enabled and speeds up when disabled. I only tried this with 1080 avalanche though.
Interesting. What's the log getting spammed with? Maybe we could remove it.
(08-25-2014, 03:35 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. What's the log getting spammed with? Maybe we could remove it.

I cant really tell. if I enable and disable only the file monitor logging, whether its enabled or not, nothing shows up in the log window. im not sure where it saves to?

(08-25-2014, 04:00 PM)Unvaluablespace Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-25-2014, 03:35 PM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting. What's the log getting spammed with? Maybe we could remove it.

I cant really tell. if I enable and disable only the file monitor logging, whether its enabled or not, nothing shows up in the log window. im not sure where it saves to?

Okay I deleted a current log and let dolphin create a new one only allowing the file monitor log to file. I loaded up 1080 avalanche and let the title screen run through. the log seems to have stopped logging after a certain point, but even after it stopped, the audio lag was still continuing, and just wont fix until you disable the file monitor check. So it seems to be doing something more than what the log itself is showing. ive attached my log though so you can see. keep in mind that even after the last log entry, the slowdown was still there UNTIL I unchecked file monitor in log configuration.

Okay I deleted a current log and let dolphin create a new one only allowing the file monitor log to file. I loaded up 1080 avalanche and let the title screen run through. the log seems to have stopped logging after a certain point, but even after it stopped, the audio lag was still continuing, and just wont fix until you disable the file monitor check. So it seems to be doing something more than what the log itself is showing. ive attached my log though so you can see. keep in mind that even after the last log entry, the slowdown was still there UNTIL I unchecked file monitor in log configuration.

Damn dude turned log's off talk about bringing cpu usage down.. Something with logs enabled is eating alot of cpu cycles.
Yup. I feel like this should be stickied or kept at the top so more people know about it, or until Dolphin team is able to fix the issue. turning off chat logs definitely improved performance.
(08-26-2014, 09:35 AM)Unvaluablespace Wrote: [ -> ]Yup. I feel like this should be stickied or kept at the top so more people know about it, or until Dolphin team is able to fix the issue. turning off chat logs definitely improved performance.

Ya with them on hitting about 86% cpu ultization without logs enabled 55-73 (depening on the intensity.)
(08-26-2014, 09:47 AM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-26-2014, 09:35 AM)Unvaluablespace Wrote: [ -> ]Yup. I feel like this should be stickied or kept at the top so more people know about it, or until Dolphin team is able to fix the issue. turning off chat logs definitely improved performance.

Ya with them on hitting about 86% cpu ultization without logs enabled 55-73 (depening on the intensity.)

if anyone else is reading this, we should test out various games known to cause certain lag issues, and compare to see if there are any resulting difference between enabling and disabling logs.

as I mentioned before, the most notable difference is with 1080 avalanche, but I noticed when trying Mario sunshine, the last story, xenoblade chronicles, and twilight princess (the onces I tested so far) I was having issues prior to disabling where the sound would slightly stutter, pause, or lag, even if for a split second. once disabled though, said issues were much less frequent. Mario sunshine and twilight princess don't normally give me any issues as it is, but where there was slight issue between loading screens, or audio, it was much less obvious.

(For reference, I have an i7 3770 cpu, GTX 670, 1600 MHz 16GB RAM with my setup.)
Dunno if it's the latest dev build or what but I am getting horrible performance in 1080, even with the logs off. But I'll continue to investigate this in other games for now.
Pages: 1 2 3 4