Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: A couple inquries and informational feedback from my testing of Dolphin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is not a complaint and is something I've been meaning to inquire about, I also don't expect anyone to fix it nor is this a thread to beg about fixing problems with Dolphin. Tongue

I remember back when sound was implemented for Zelda/Mario games the Resident Evil Zero sound fix was broken according to what I and others have tested. Is it still broken to this day in Dolphin or is it finally working once again in Dolphin now? I remember someone saying about a few weeks or a month ago this fix was only still working in the 32-bit builds and was broken in the 64-bit builds. If it was only Working in the 32-bit build, would that mean it also works in the 32-bit JITIL build?

Another question I have is why is the 64-bit JITIL build considerably slower then the normal 64-bit build and even the 32-bit JITIL build? I have tried performing a search but was unable to turn up the information I was seeking, either it wasn't posted on the forum or I used the wrong queries to search. :/

In the months of testing Dolphin I have concluded that Optimize Quantizers gives a significant performance boost or perhaps it's Optimize Quantizers used in conjunction with the 32-bit JITIL build that does. On the normal 32-bit and 64-bit builds of Dolphin with Optimize Quantizers disabled, games such as Resident Evil Remake exhibit significant slowdowns in scenes with animated backgrounds. Most of these slowdowns occur in places like these: Outdoor environment such as where you meet the first crimson head, and usually almost any place outside the mansion area. There is also slowndown in the laboratory where the big fan is on the lower floor. The slowdown in the candlelit lobby in the masion at the beginning of the game is fixed on all builds from what I've tested.

These areas usually net a 10+ FPS drop or more depending on how powerful your hardware is. However by using the 32-bit JITIL build with Optimize Quantizers enabled these slowdowns are virtually non-existent. By using the 32-bit JITIL build in conjuction with Optimize Quantizers the areas that are normally slow on other builds run full speed for me. I haven't fully tested this, so far I've only tested it on a couple of the normally slow areas one of which is the lower level of the laboratory with the large fan. I will throughly test this and provide an update on whether or not this fixes the slowdowns in all areas that are normally slow on other builds.
64 bit IL build is only a fork (or at least seems to be), there was no more work after it's release
It's not like 64 bit builds are much faster, Pcsx2 is doing fine without them.
well then should i be downloading the 32 bits for my 64bit system????
64-bit seems to run some games quite a bit faster than even the 32-bit IL builds, some games have 8 - 20 more FPS with 64-bit builds than 32-bit and 32-bit JITIL builds. I don't think they would keep the 64-bit builds around if it didn't offer a significant benefit over 32-bit builds.

Some games do however run just as fast or faster with the 32-bit JITIL builds than 64-bit, these are usually the less demanding games while the more demanding games tend to run faster on the 64-bit builds.

Even the Pcsx2 team was working on a 64-bit build at one point which would of offered a performance advantage over 32-bit builds, unfortunately it was abandoned due to not having anyone to maintain or work on the 64-bit builds according to what I've read.

I originally remember there was plans a while back where JITIL would become the new core project, the other builds would be scrapped once JITIL was stable enough and JITIL would become the primary focus of the development team. The JITIL builds seem stable enough now except for the minor issue that the 64-bit JITIL build is quite a bit slower in most aspects than the normal 64-bit builds. The added advantage of the JITIL builds which makes it worthwhile is enabling optimize quantizers causes little to no issues with games unlike the normal builds which exhibit graphical problems with this option enabled.

I didn't open this thread to complain however, I opened it to inquire about these features orr fixes and provide feedback from what I've tested in Dolphin hoping others will find the information useful. Smile
I get less performance from 64 bit builds myself, and more bugs... I use 32 bit builds personally, they seem to be more stable and more smooth play.
If JITL offers no disadvantages over normal builds then it should be the only available build and normal builds abandoned, However it doesn't seem to be the case, as
Xtreme2damax stated every game perform completely different from one another and so does 32 and 64 bit variation of JITL.
Xtreme2damax,

I agree with u when u say that JITIL is faster then normal build, but i see a thing that bores me... In RE REMAKE u said that the slowdown in mansion hall is fixed...

Well, i see a little slowdown there yet.

What JITIL x86 u tested?

Huh

My rig is

C2Q Q9550 2.83 GHz
MSI GeForce 9800 GTX+ OC
Asus P5Q-E
4 GB RAM DDR2 800 MHz
XP 32 bits

Ps: is a good rig for dolphin or not guys????

Pps: I tested svn JITIL x86 3789 and 3914 these two let me play the game at full speed...why some builds cut the framerate by half and these not? Any1 know?
Slowdown in the lobby of the mansion in the beginning of the game is fixed for me, at least with the 32-bit JITIL and 64-bit builds it is. I am unsure if the slowdown still exists in the normal 32-bit build and 64-bit JITIL build, it very well may be.

Using Optimize Quantizers in conjunction with the 32-bit JITIL build seems to fix most of the slowdown in Remake, I typically get full speed almost all the time.

I've been using the latest revisions, I am now using revision 4026.

My specifications: Intel Core2Duo E8500, 4 GB of DDR2 Dual Channel Ram, Geforce 9800 GT. Optimize Quantizers seem to make all the difference in the 32-bit JITIL build with Resident Evil Remake.

I am playing the Gamecube version, not the Wii version known as Resident Evil: Archives.