Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Just got a few games and having problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

isaac12345

Hi all,

I downloaded Dolphin yesterday to play some of my favourite games. So far I have tried Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Viewtiful Joe. Both of them are not running properly. With Fire Emblem, the videos seems to stutter. With Viewtiful Joe, it runs as if in slow motion even though I am getting 40-60 fps. I have tried various settings but in vain.

My config is -
Operating System: Windows 7 x86
Processor/CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo e4500
Video Card/GPU: Nvidia 8800gt
Memory/RAM: 4gb
Dolphin Revision Currently Using: Dolphin 4.0.2

Would appreciate if someone could help me figure out what the problem is.
Thanks!
I think your processor is too slow, if you can overclock it then great you might get a slight increase in performance but i think to enjoy dolphin you should upgrade your cpu and motherboard.
Yeah , his CPU is too slow for most games . Even light-weight games won't run at playable speed
If you live in US , you will be able to get latest Intel Pentium Haswell G3258 and MSI Z97 mobo bundle for only $100
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/g3258bundle.aspx
If you overclock that Pentium , it will smash all i5/i7 except i5 4690k and i7 4790k

isaac12345

I am not quite so sure about my CPU being so weak. I am not able to play very recent games but am able to like assasin's creed 2, unreal tournament 3,etc. I would imagine gamecube emulation is similar to these games in terms of system requirements eh?
PC gaming -> GPU
Emulation -> CPU
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#why-do...late-old-c
I had a better system than yours : E5300 @ 2.6GHz + Nvidia GT 9800 but still , most game didn't run at playable speed
I overclocked it at 3.6GHz , most games run at full speed except demanding games
Your CPU is too old (release date : Q3 2007) . Just do an upgrade already
Here is Dolphin Benchmark : (it has been updated yet though)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?...ring#gid=0
To run most games at full speed , you must have i3 4130 or better CPU
To run most demanding games at full speed or close to full speed , you must have i5 4670k or better CPU
Pentium G3258 is better than i5 4670k in Dolphin due to Pentium's monstrous overclocking ability ( G3258 @ 4.5GHz or even 4.8GHz)
Core 2 Duo especially when over clocked is still decent for playing games even some recent games, however emulation is TOTALLY different stuff. It has to not only handel the game but, octuple the calculations it would for a PC game to emulate and translate the calls and functions the Wii's CPU would do/make.

With a really good OC and NEW graphics card you could maybe get 30 fps in some wii games with some lag and have some GC game be playable.
His GPU isn't a problem . 8800GT is basically 9800GT which I used before . It was a mid-high end GPU with beefy power consumption , it can handle 3x IR(1920x1584) , no AA , 16x AF in most games except SMG 1&2 and Zelda SS ( I had to lower 3xIR to 2.5x which is 1600x1320)
You should read the Dolphin FAQ too
https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/faq/#which-gpu-do-i-need
Quote:Compared to processors, choosing a GPU for Dolphin is a fairly simple task. The more powerful the graphics card, the more pixels and enhancements you can throw at it before you’ll see slowdown
The bare minimum GPU for Dolphin is Intel HD 4600 . A faster GPU won't bring more FPS unless you use higher internal resolution than 1xIR

s.sakash

overclocking yor cpu is a must because of its lower clock speed and use dolphin 3.5 its way better than 4.0.2 in performance... when i had an intel core 2 duo e4600 with gt 610 before i used 3.5 in dx9 and oced it to 2.9ghz and ran wii titles like naruto clash of ninja revolution 3 , super smash brawl in 60 fps.
(08-26-2014, 01:36 AM)s.sakash Wrote: [ -> ]overclocking yor cpu is a must because of its lower clock speed and use dolphin 3.5 its way better than 4.0.2 in performance... when i had an intel core 2 duo e4600 with gt 610 before i used 3.5 in dx9 and oced it to 2.9ghz and ran wii titles like naruto clash of ninja revolution 3 , super smash brawl in 60 fps.

Stop suggesting that people use 3.5, recent dev versions are far faster, more accurate, and just as easy to access, and very rarely experience experience-breaking problems, thanks to the fact that the team actually reviews PRs.