Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance differences between AMD and Nvidia GPU's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there! I am a new dolphin user and requesting some help. I am using dolphin on both of my macs. One is a 2011 iMac with 500mb of AMD GPU and a dual core i5 the other is a brand new 2014 macbook pro with a quad core i7 and an nvidia gt 750m with 2gb of gddr5.

Here is my problem and its driving me crazy.

Dolphin is running perfect on my iMac from 2011 and running terrible on my macbook (2014!!! Why is this happening??? My macbook out powers my iMac way more and it's newer.

Here is what i am experiencing. Macbook- games stutter, load screens lag and freeze. Audio works terribly.

I have tried using every version on my Macbook with no luck whatsoever in getting anywhere close to the performance I get with my iMac.

My iMac is using dolphin 3.0 and yes, I have tried using the exact same version on the macbook as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm honestly ripping my hair out over this. Sad
Quote:My macbook out powers my iMac way more and it's newer.
Your MacBook pro isn't a gaming laptop . 80% multi-media laptop can't handle Dolphin due to overheating
Apple also uses crappy OEM thermal compound on their notebook like others OEM manufacturer . OEM TC die fast -> Overheating when running Dolphin -> CPU and GPU clock speed will be underclocked -> Losing performance
Better check you laptop temp when running Dolphin (at least 10 mins)
(08-23-2014, 07:58 AM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there! I am a new dolphin user and requesting some help. I am using dolphin on both of my macs. One is a 2011 iMac with 500mb of AMD GPU and a dual core i5 the other is a brand new 2014 macbook pro with a quad core i7 and an nvidia gt 750m with 2gb of gddr5.

Dolphin is running perfect on my iMac from 2011 and running terrible on my macbook (2014!!! Why is this happening??? My macbook out powers my iMac way more and it's newer.

Here is what i am experiencing. Macbook- games stutter, load screens lag and freeze. Audio works terribly.

I have tried using every version on my Macbook with no luck whatsoever in getting anywhere close to the performance I get with my iMac.

My iMac is using dolphin 3.0 and yes, I have tried using the exact same version on the macbook as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm honestly ripping my hair out over this. Sad

what games are you trying to play? what settings are you trying to use? I own a 2013 macbook pro i5 13 inch with intel iris and a 2014 15 inch with iris pro and gt750 and dont have a single issue with the games i loaded on it..
(08-23-2014, 11:02 AM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2014, 07:58 AM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]Hey there! I am a new dolphin user and requesting some help. I am using dolphin on both of my macs. One is a 2011 iMac with 500mb of AMD GPU and a dual core i5 the other is a brand new 2014 macbook pro with a quad core i7 and an nvidia gt 750m with 2gb of gddr5.

what games are you trying to play? what settings are you trying to use? I own a 2013 macbook pro i5 13 inch with intel iris and a 2014 15 inch with iris pro and gt750 and dont have a single issue with the games i loaded on it..

I am trying to play Metroid Prime and Smash Bros Melee.

What emulator version should I use?
What Settings should I use?

Any Ideas why my old iMac is working better? I play dolphin on my iMac at 100% speed without any frame rate drops or anything!!! It doesn't make sense to me???

Thanks again

(08-23-2014, 09:27 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Your MacBook pro isn't a gaming laptop . 80% multi-media laptop can't handle Dolphin due to overheating
Apple also uses crappy OEM thermal compound on their notebook like others OEM manufacturer . OEM TC die fast -> Overheating when running Dolphin -> CPU and GPU clock speed will be underclocked -> Losing performance

I am not having heating issues. Computer is running cool but lagging while playing gems like Smash bros Melee.

Why would my old crappy iMac work better tho???

Thanks for your help
(08-23-2014, 12:21 PM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]

Any Ideas why my old iMac is working better? I play dolphin on my iMac at 100% speed without any frame rate drops or anything!!! It doesn't make sense to me???

Thanks again

I am not having heating issues. Computer is running cool but lagging while playing gems like Smash bros Melee.

Thanks for your help

remember with the mbp with the intel iris non 5200 version the greater the load your fps is going to degrade some... I would just set render to no more then 1200x800 and let the mb just scale it... now with the iris pro do to havein 128 mb of embedded edram obviously u can use some higher resoultions i wouldnt go more then 1400x900 (resolution native to its 2k counterpart.)
(08-23-2014, 01:08 PM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks again

Thanks for your help

remember with the mbp with the intel iris non 5200 version the greater the load your fps is going to degrade some... I would just set render to no more then 1200x800 and let the mb just scale it... now with the iris pro do to havein 128 mb of embedded edram obviously u can use some higher resoultions i wouldnt go more then 1400x900 (resolution native to its 2k counterpart.)

Sorry, can you explain that more clear? I'm having trouble understanding which computer you are talking about and what settings you want me to change.

Thanks
(08-23-2014, 01:20 PM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]

Thanks again

Thanks for your help

Sorry, can you explain that more clear? I'm having trouble understanding which computer you are talking about and what settings you want me to change.

Thanks

in dolphin under enhancements u can change the interal scaller to whatever you want on the intel iris i wouldn't go beyond 1200x800 or lower has some rendering issues with default especally with mario kart wii and the track map seems to be ok at 2x interal scale which is 1200x800 might be a tad less then 800 but the graphics render properly and the iris pro id set it to 2x at 1400x900 which is the macbook pro's native res that is not retnia
(08-23-2014, 01:42 PM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2014, 11:02 AM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]what games are you trying to play? what settings are you trying to use? I own a 2013 macbook pro i5 13 inch with intel iris and a 2014 15 inch with iris pro and gt750 and dont have a single issue with the games i loaded on it..

Thanks again

(08-23-2014, 09:27 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Your MacBook pro isn't a gaming laptop . 80% multi-media laptop can't handle Dolphin due to overheating

Thanks for your help

Thanks

in dolphin under enhancements u can change the interal scaller to whatever you want on the intel iris i wouldn't go beyond 1200x800 or lower has some rendering issues with default especally with mario kart wii and the track map seems to be ok at 2x interal scale which is 1200x800 might be a tad less then 800 but the graphics render properly and the iris pro id set it to 2x at 1400x900 which is the macbook pro's native res that is not retnia

My macbook is not using intel Iris graphics. It is using 2gb of dedicated gddr5 from a gt 750m gpu.
(08-23-2014, 01:46 PM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2014, 12:21 PM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]I am trying to play Metroid Prime and Smash Bros Melee.

Thanks again

Thanks for your help

Thanks

My macbook is not using intel Iris graphics. It is using 2gb of dedicated gddr5 from a gt 750m gpu.

ok np... Wasnt sure if you were using it or not... ALso you can snag the latest nvidia drivers from there website for your macbook Tongue yes nvidia updates them Tongue.... id start there and also grab the latest mac version from the development download page
(08-23-2014, 02:07 PM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2014, 01:46 PM)nolanspells Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-23-2014, 01:08 PM)RaverX3X Wrote: [ -> ]remember with the mbp with the intel iris non 5200 version the greater the load your fps is going to degrade some... I would just set render to no more then 1200x800 and let the mb just scale it... now with the iris pro do to havein 128 mb of embedded edram obviously u can use some higher resoultions i wouldnt go more then 1400x900 (resolution native to its 2k counterpart.)

Thanks

ok np... Wasnt sure if you were using it or not... ALso you can snag the latest nvidia drivers from there website for your macbook Tongue yes nvidia updates them Tongue.... id start there and also grab the latest mac version from the development download page

I don't think it's possible to update gpu drivers on a mac. Also, is there a specific version of dolphin you would recommend for mac. I want to be able to play with near 100% playback at a resolution around 1080p.

Thanks
Pages: 1 2