Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Trying to run metriod prime; where's the bottleneck?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

hellmean

Hi All,

I am trying to run metriod prime (really want to play it through). Unfortunately it runs about 95% speed.

It is most of the time at 100, but at moments it drops to 95 or 92. Usually when there is some complex structures (more stuff to render). So I really suspect this my GPU (HD5670), which is pretty darn cheap.

My CPU isn't very modern either: C2D E7500 OCed to 3740Mhz. But i noticed that more overclocking doesn't change things (there was a very minor improvement when I went from 2.93 to 3.3, but from there pretty much the same speed; it some other games it was rather noticeable).

I also use linux (with proprietary amd drivers), so I use OpenGL. Can it be a limiting factor?

Please confirm whether this is GPU. I really don't want to waste money for new one. I would welcome any recommendations about settings and everything.

Thanks!!

My specs:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7500 OCed @ 3.7GHz
RAM: 4 GB ddr2
GPU: AMD HD5670 512 Mb
EMU ver: 4.0.2
It's your cpu. Much too weak for Dolphin and metroid prime is demanding

hellmean

(08-23-2014, 05:44 AM)yl-smash Wrote: [ -> ]It's your cpu. Much too weak for Dolphin and metroid prime is demanding

Thanks! I started to suspect that.
You should really try using the latest development versions. They're a lot faster than 4.0.2. It may not give you fullspeed all the time, but it should perform plenty better than what you're currently getting.

hellmean

(08-23-2014, 12:57 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]You should really try using the latest development versions. They're a lot faster than 4.0.2. It may not give you fullspeed all the time, but it should perform plenty better than what you're currently getting.

Wow! Thanks! I just compiled the latest dev source. And so far it is 100% (almost 10 fps increase everywhere). Hope I can play this game but even if not there's still a hope for this Core 2 Duo.
which revision did you use btw?

hellmean

(08-24-2014, 01:29 AM)Bizzy212 Wrote: [ -> ]which revision did you use btw?

i just downloaded the latest source from the version control system; I guess this is roughly the latest available precompiled one (4.0-2704). And it also crushes every time I stop emulation (but otherwise plays well). I couldn't find a place to report this bug btw.
Report issues on Dolphin's Google Code page. You can find the exact revision number in Dolphin's title bar or in the About menu. The About menu also has the git hash of the commit.