Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New to using Dolphin, need some help please!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Umm, you're quoting an ancient guide from a long time ago. The definition of playable/fullspeed has changed a lot over the years, requirements have changed, processors that were good then lack important optimizations now. Did you not see the huge "Unofficial" on the guide as well?
(08-25-2014, 07:37 AM)UndeadCreepshow Wrote: [ -> ]I should be able to play most games at full speed

Most games but not all games. Not demanding games. RE games are pretty or very demanding.

(08-25-2014, 07:37 AM)UndeadCreepshow Wrote: [ -> ]It does mention overclocking but does not say its necessary

It's necessary to play most games at decent speed. It won't even be enough for some very demanding games.

(08-25-2014, 07:37 AM)UndeadCreepshow Wrote: [ -> ]So any more suggestions?

Get a better/more recent CPU. At least if you wanna use Dolphin/PCSX2
(08-25-2014, 07:43 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Umm, you're quoting an ancient guide from a long time ago. The definition of playable/fullspeed has changed a lot over the years, requirements have changed, processors that were good then lack important optimizations now. Did you not see the huge "Unofficial" on the guide as well?

So what your telling me basically is the program has gotten worse since the guide released 2 years ago? I mean explain the logic behind that. I don't see how someone could of made a guide explaining the CPU's in detail and how they would handle Dolphin and then them not be up to par now unless the program itself has gotten worse lol. And 2 years isn't that long. I mean i personally would think that performance would be better on the mentioned CPU after 2 years with improvements and optimizations within the program itself. If that's the case then 2 years ago everything lacked not just CPU. If it's unofficial and not reliable then why post it to begin with?
(08-25-2014, 12:03 PM)UndeadCreepshow Wrote: [ -> ]So what your telling me basically is the program has gotten worse since the guide released 2 years ago? I mean explain the logic behind that. I don't see how someone could of made a guide explaining the CPU's in detail and how they would handle Dolphin and then them not be up to par now unless the program itself has gotten worse lol. And 2 years isn't that long. I mean i personally would think that performance would be better on the mentioned CPU after 2 years with improvements and optimizations within the program itself. If that's the case then 2 years ago everything lacked not just CPU. If it's unofficial and not reliable then why post it to begin with?

Dolphin has become more accurate of an emulator, which means that it is more resource intensive. Older CPUs aren't increasing in speed, so Dolphin runs slower on them. That guide was made using way older builds, and hasn't been updated to reflect the current status of Dolphin.

It's just like any program that goes through iterations over the years. As more features are implemented, resource requirements go up, so you need stronger processors. Its practically a law of computing.
Pages: 1 2