Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Speed issues
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

fx25v

Hello,

I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles without any problems and, after moving from the stable 4.0.2 release to recent development versions I've been having the following speed issues:

-To achieve a "normal" 25-31 FPS in the game I have to set the frame limit to 60 (it still feels faster than 30FPS). If I set it to 30, the game stays in 15FPS and plays really slow.
-The audio is always too fast, all sounds are fast and the characters have funny voices.

I have tried a variety of settings combinations, but no luck getting the game to work as before.

The last time I tried was with the 4.0-2662, before that I did try a couple of different versions, with the same results. I attached the settings I tried the last time I played.

On the stable release I didn't have these issues, Is this some bug or there is some new settings on Dolphin I should change?
It could be from not having the 'framelimit to audio' option available. I hope that gets added back because it helps stabilise fps and audio, often better than using auto or limiting by fps. That might be your issue since i noticed that missing on the newer development versions of dolphin.
Audio framelimit is a holdover from the days of asynchronous audio, and causes issues. It's been removed, and will not return. If you would like to know a more detailed explanation, read here in the progress report: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/07/31/...july-2014/

As for the OP, Xenoblade is a somewhat GPU intensive game. The GTX 750 Ti can't handle it maxed out under enhancements. Also, put fullscreen resolution to auto, and framelimit back to auto.
Set the enhancements back to native, and then work your way up until it starts slowing down, and then pull back to where it doesn't.

fx25v

(08-21-2014, 06:16 PM)natnint4000 Wrote: [ -> ]It could be from not having the 'framelimit to audio' option available. I hope that gets added back because it helps stabilise fps and audio, often better than using auto or limiting by fps. That might be your issue since i noticed that missing on the newer development versions of dolphin.
I see. Will need to find another method, then.

(08-21-2014, 06:34 PM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Audio framelimit is a holdover from the days of asynchronous audio, and causes issues. It's been removed, and will not return. If you would like to know a more detailed explanation, read here in the progress report: https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/07/31/...july-2014/

As for the OP, Xenoblade is a somewhat GPU intensive game. The GTX 750 Ti can't handle it maxed out under enhancements. Also, put fullscreen resolution to auto, and framelimit back to auto.
Set the enhancements back to native, and then work your way up until it starts slowing down, and then pull back to where it doesn't.
Xenoblade plays just fine on my GTX 750 ti SC at 1080p with 4x native internal resolution, AA and Anisotropic filtering... but that is on the stable release. Still, I'm going to try your suggestions when I open dolphin tonight.
Even on my 6 core, 780 Ti I run into issues, but I see several things wrong with your settings.

You should be using the latest dev build and using OpenGL as you are on nVidia. OpenGL is faster currently for nVidia cards. Make sure you are using the latest nVidia drivers. Also, make sure to set your Power mode to Full in the control panel for Dolphin. I'd only be using max Auto setting for Internal Resolution. Don't use anti-aliasing, its benefit is not worth the performance drop. It would be great if one day the devs can get some form of shader based AA implemented, like SMAA. EFB should be set to Texture for better performance. Only use RAM if the game simply can't run correctly without it.
(08-21-2014, 11:03 PM)fx25v Wrote: [ -> ]Xenoblade plays just fine on my GTX 750 ti SC at 1080p with 4x native internal resolution, AA and Anisotropic filtering... but that is on the stable release. Still, I'm going to try your suggestions when I open dolphin tonight.

Using it at 4x IR is fine, but the AA/AF are big performance hogs, as noted by BatJoe.
And the D3D backend is pretty fast, and has the exclusive fullscreen, which for more info, look at that progress report I linked earlier.
(08-22-2014, 03:08 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]And the D3D backend is pretty fast, and has the exclusive fullscreen, which for more info, look at that progress report I linked earlier.

But OpenGL is still overall faster for nVidia cards still. And wasn't something similar added in a new dev build for OpenGL with exclusive fullscreen?
Yes, its pretty recent, and is mentioned in some thread somewhere, I think in the progress report thread, but I'm not sure and too busy to search Tongue

Mmmmmm, I know it used to be the fastest option, but after the tev_fixes merge, it was slower, and then there were speed optimizations, and now I can't remember if it brought back up to the same level as pre-tev merge yet.

fx25v

Thank you all for your suggestions! Sorry I didn't have time yesterday to play the game, so I wasn't able to try until today. I am playing at the normal 25FPS again (I havent installed the "30FPS hack").

In case someone wants/needs to know what settings I have now, I have attached them here again.

Edit: Forgot to mention that not only the FPS is ok now, but the audio is fine again.